Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends

Start from the beginning

I said goodbye to Peter's family while Michael waited in the car. Jenny was pouting and teary as she looked for Michael. I felt bad that I couldn't tell her exactly why Michael showed up. The rest of them made me promise to visit again next weekend.

"Thank you for today, Peter. I had a great time."

"I should be the one thanking you. I have been dreaming of this day since I found out about you." We hugged it out and confirmed plans for next weekend. "Oh Madi, one more thing. About Michael Madrid. I didn't want to say anything earlier because I might be stepping out of my boundaries but I want you to know something. I was supposed to attend a birthday party the same night I got a call from the private investigator about your location. The next morning, I read in the newspaper about that party and it turned out to be an engagement party too. Michael's engagement to Frederick's daughter."

"I know, I was there. Look, all you need to know is that engagement wasn't real. Michael and I are together and he is trying to fix things. Thank you for today. I'll see you next week."

I hurried out of the house before  Peter could say anything else. He didn't deserve to brushed off like that. He was just trying to look out for me. I just thought I was over it. Images of the worst night of my life started flashing in my head as soon as he mentioned the birthday party. I was supposed to be over it. I forgave Michael, that's for sure. I knew and understood his reason. He loves me and I believe him. I was sure I would never ever leave him again. He is my home.

My chest tightened as I approached Michael's car. He immediately knew something was wrong when he climbed out of the car and opened his arms for me. As soon as he embraced me, I was able to let out the air I was holding back. We stayed in each other's arms for a little while. He is home.

"I'm sorry. It's Peter. He told me he knew about your en-."

"Engagement and you remembered."

"I remembered the feeling, Michael. It scared me. I don't want to feel the same way again." Guilt was etched on his face. No. This isn't the way I wanted us to be. I promised myself I'll be strong this time. "But I'll be fine." I added.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, we're together now. Nothing can change that." My assurance made him smile. His mesmerizing eyes lit up and made my heart flutter. He held my hand and intertwined our fingers.

We are stronger together.

*****
I came home to an empty apartment after school. Suddenly I missed the girls. We haven't done the girl talks for a while now. Leaving the house early for our internships, we only get to say rushed hi's and hellos. Then at nights, I get home pretty late because of rehearsals with the band or dinners with Michael, sometimes both.

All along I thought I was alone when I heard a door closed after my shower. I strolled along the hallway to check who was home.

"Hey, Ky!"

"Holy shit! Madi! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"I just said hey." I gave her an odd look. Why was she so jumpy?

"I didn't know somebody's home."

"Same here. Do you want order pizza?" I asked as part of my plan to be the nosy best friend. I purposely came home early hoping I'd had the chance to speak with her.

The pizza arrived half an hour later. We grabbed a a few cans of soda into the living room along with the pizza.

"Anything you wanna tell me, Ky?"

"About what?" she feigned innocence while indulging on the pizza.

"I don't know. Anything." I shrugged.

"I'm not sure what you want to know, bes." she arched an eyebrow at me. It was one her ways to intimidate others as defense. Unfortunately for her, it never worked on me.

"I'm waiting for you tell me but it seems like you're not planning on doing so. Why the hell are you kissing our research professor during Michaela's fashion show?"

Kyla choked on her food. It took her a few minutes to compose herself. I waited until she was ready for a lengthy explanation on why she was locking lips with our teacher. I had so many questions and she isn't going anywhere until she answered all of them.

It was past midnight when Kyla finished her mind blowing revelation. She and Mr. Simeon have been dating for a couple of weeks now. Their relationship was a top secret. Things started to make sense. My complicated situation with Michael was free from her inquisition because she was busy with her own complicated situation.

I was in no position to question why she was dating Mr. Simeon. I trust her judgment and more importantly, I want her to be happy. But what shocked me the most was when she admitted that our professor was the same guy who took her V-card one drunken night.

"I love him, Madi. I don't know how it happened. We tried to ignore it, we agreed to put it behind us because duh he's our teacher. I'm not in some fiction novel engaged in a teacher-student relationship. But there was this magnet that kept pulling us together. We can't seem to stop seeing each other everywhere. I'm sorry, I didn't tell you. I was still figuring out what we are to each other."

"And?"

"We're officially together at Michaela's show. Gosh, I didn't even know he was their cousin! How weird is that? His mom and Michael's are sisters but Mrs. Simeon died of cancer the same year we met."

"Yeah, Michael told me."

We hugged each other for god knows how long. It was one of those times that we completely understood how each other felt.

"So, is it weird that we could be cousin-in-laws?"