Chapter 1

The post lights illuminated the street while a young man in black walk his way home after his long hours of reading books in the university library.

It is his usual routine to visit the library after his lectures and indulge himself with school work and reading books.

Most boys in his age might prefer to go hang out after school and unwind but he most definitely would prefer the company of books.

He doesn't like crowds. He's not a bit friendly either. A total snob if you will say.

His twin brother, is much more of the outgoing guy and would nudge him to go and have fun, to stop loving himself and start dating. He knows fully well that his brother was just trying to work him up, but he won't budge.

To be honest, he is aware of his good looks and intellect, and he is quite popular on campus,  especially as a top student, however, those qualities are also why people try to avoid him, adding to his snobbish personality.

Lost in thought, he felt his phone vibrate from his shirts pocket and answered it.

"Noll! Where are you?"

"Gene, is it necessary to shout? I'm on my way to the garage and will be home in half an hour. Where we're you anyway? You told me that we'll go home together and you just left and about. What a nice big brother you are."

"I'm sorry. It totally slipped my mind. I was already with Lin on the way home when I remembered."

"Lin?"

"Yeah, he went on an errand for father and we met on his way so I tagged along."

"That make sense. Is it a new case?"

"Probably. Anyway, hurry up. It's almost dinner."

"Yeah. Yeah. See you later."

Just after the call, something caught his attention.

Not far from him, on a bench, a girl - short brown hair, and wears a senior uniform if he's not mistaken, is sitting lost in thought and tears visibly falling from her face.

That stopped him.

There is something about this girl that intrigued him.

"Hey! You?!"

The girl looked around and saw no one.

"I'm talking to you."

She widened her eyes and abruptly walked towards him.

"You can see me?"

"Is that even a question?"

"B-but I'm a ghost!"

Yes. That's right. She IS a ghost and I can see them. Well, technically,  my brother and I can. We also have some abilities that are useful when we're doing a case.

What those cases are, you'll have to find out later.

Our family are what you can call ghost hunters. We are part of a worldwide organization that studies the unknown world of parapsychology.

"Yes. I perfectly know that you are one. I'm not as dumb as how you look."

"W-what?! For someone as good looking as you, you're a jerk! Just when I thought someone can see me..." she said angrily, whispering the last sentence, though still audible.

He smirked.

"So, you think I'm good looking?"

The girl looked at him, agaped.

"W-waaaah, you're such a narcissist, Naru is a good name for you!! Narcissistic- Naru-chan!!!" she gasped and covered her mouth, it might have been an internal comment that she ended up blurring out.

Interesting.

The name she gave is a japanese term of his nickname, Noll. 

"W-w-what are you laughing at, N-a-r-u? Is something funny??!"

He chuckled.

That caught her off guard.

The guy can actually smile.

And....

She liked it.

His smile adds to his charm.

Wait a minute she need to stop ogling the narcissist. It won't do her any good.

"Why are you here anyway?" she asked.

"On my way home, obviously. And why are you here? You're not a familiar ghost that I usually see here. Your face is new. "

"Well, I just got here after wandering around. I actually feel helpless. I've been a ghost since, I don't know, maybe a year or two,  but other than my name I don't remember anything. Why I'm dead, whose my family and friends. Wandering around without any reason, or thinking why I can't pass on is all a mystery. "

As he listened, he felt symphaty for the girl. Not that it will show on his stoic face.

He cleared his throat.

"Well, that is indeed a shame. I better get going. "

He was about to continue on his way when he felt the cold hands of the ghost girl stop him.

"Please, help me. You are the first person that I've met who can actually see me and talk to me. I really need your help. "

He looked at the girl. Curious. Just curious.

Something in her seems to attract his attention.

Oh well, it is part of his job description, might as well assist this wandering ghost.

"Alright. "

"R-really? "

He nodded.

Out of happiness she launched herself to the boy in front of her.

"Thank you!  Thank you,  Naru! "

Smiling at the boy, she introduced herself.

"Mai. My name is Mai. "