The Bet *Against All Odds

Start from the beginning

Instead, I hug her back, thinking of good happy memories when my mom hugs me, telling me everything will be alright.

I lost track of the day, the date, and the time. My life becomes repetitive. Go to school, tutor Draky, go back home. And in between, I am worrying. Never stop worrying that I might see him on the street. Or anywhere I go. My life is already complicated as it is, and then he adds more to it!

He even visits my dreams. Because of him, I can't sleep. I have these haunting nightmares every night. And so I have these dark circles under my eyes. I feel horrible, hollow, and empty. Due to my lost of appetite, I'm slowly loosening my weight. After all these months, he can still get to me. I hate him for it!

It scares me how much I hate him. I can't believe I can muster this kind of hate in my body.

I'm in the school when I feel something bad will happen. I ignore it and focused on my upcoming test instead. But you know what they say, you can't run from fate. From destiny.

"Sophia."

Turning around, I find Elizabeth, my old friend, catching up to me.

"Hello," I greet her; surprised that she's talking to me.

"Can I have a minute with you?" she asks, glancing around us.

"Sure," I say slowly.

"He is looking for you."

"What?" I almost shout. Fortunately, there are no people in the hallway besides us.

He. . . The one that can't be named. Even my old friends know it. It's best not to say it. It's a forbidden curse.

"Why?" I murmur, my knees buckling underneath me.

Elizabeth starts to raise her hands as if to help me, but she thinks better of it. Instead, I lean on the wall for support.

"I. . . I don't know," she says, a frown appearing on her face. "I'm sorry to say this, but he's back. I don't know if he's back for good or just visiting. But still."

"Thank you for telling me," I choke.

I'm afraid of breaking into tiny pieces. I can feel myself crumbling apart. Just one more push I will explode and no part of me will remain.

"Sophia," she says. In that word, my name, she conveys a long message. "He. Is. Out. Hunting. You."

After that, she walks away, leaving me gasping for breaths. My worst nightmare is coming true and I can't do anything to stop it from happening.

I don't remember much what happened after I talked to Elizabeth. Before I know it, the bell rings signaling the end of the last class. Fortunately, I survived the day. Almost.

"Pie?"

I stop in my tracks and whip around to see Draky.

"Are you okay?" he asks, concern written all over his face.

"Yes, I am," I lie. "Why?"

His brows furrow, sensing the lie."I just noticed that you have been paranoid for the past couple of days."

"It's nothing," I say evasively.

It's not Draky's fault that I'm in a sour mood lately. Actually, it's no one's fault, except himHim. Him. His name is evicted from my mind ever since he hurt me. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. His name is a curse- a poison- that will envelop you until you burn.