Chapter One: The Fates Fade

Start from the beginning

"Actually, I haven't been having nightmares recently. I've been having demigod dreams," I said looking at her nervously.

Mother looked at me worriedly. She put her hand on mine.

"Percy, what happened?"

I explained the whole dream to her. I could tell she was worried about what this could mean. I haven't had demigod dreams since they all died.

"I don't know what to tell you, Percy. We can worry about this later. Today is your last day here and we're going to have a normal day at the zoo. Just you and me."

The day at the zoo was actually a relief. I was able to chat with some zebras and a donkey at the petting zoo. Mom bought some blue treats for us too. I guess the monsters decided to give us a break.

At about five at noon, I boarded the plane to go back to my base. I don't know why Zeus no longer noticed me in his domain. In fact no god or goddess seems to notice when I'm in their domain since I left, but I'm not complaining.

So, the next few days went along like normal. No monsters, no dreams, no nothing. I still had my normal nightmares and they were as bad as they always were, but nothing was wrong.

Four days later and things are still going good. Or so I thought.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen. Time for a ruck march. Let's go! Get your crap and meet out in formation.

We leave in two hours," Captain Kern yelled.

I jumped out of bed before she even stopped talking. Big mistake. A jolt of pain ran through my body. Come on, Percy. No weakness. I shakily went to go get my clothes to take a shower. The good thing about getting up fast is that you get the shower first. Hopefully it would help. It did, to a point. Every time too much pressure was applied to my skin it would ache. Every time I moved to much my whole body groaned in protest. I did my best to ignore it.

Getting my clothes on was a whole different story. I carefully pulled on some clean undergarments, light S.I. thermals, and my ACU's, wincing everything I move wrong. The winter weight army boots were easier.

I walked over to a mirror that was sitting in my locker. I grimaced at how bloodshot my eyes were and the bags that occupied the space under them. I pulled my hair now short raven black hair into a tight bun and adjusted my uniform by tightening the velcro straps over my wrist, tucking my shirt in my pants, and patting straightening my pocket flaps on my sleeves.

The remaining time went by quickly. Our 190 people company had gathered in front of their respective barracks before boarding the buses that would take us to the outskirts of a small town we were starting our march from. Here we were going to break up into squads and make our way through the 4,000 square mile wilderness we were in. We had to hit certain markers, touching up on our navigating skills using compasses and maps.

This only happens once in awhile, but it's still exhausting. I don't really know if I'm going to be much help. Every little movement sent jolt of pain.

At about 0900 or 9 in the morning we arrived at the starting point.

The clearing was small. It lead to the woods. Birds were singing their songs and the footsteps rang throughout the place. It was quite beautiful in its own way.

We were served a hot breakfast that I didn't even touch it.

I just went to grab my M16 along with some other weapons, ammo, packs of food for the trip, and I went to fill all five of my canteens. I then went to grab my bellet proof vest and a helmet. Waiting for the others was boring, but I managed until we were split into squads.