Nine

"Can I spend even more money on you?" Rafael asked, savoring the feeling of Anais's hand in his.

"Sure!" She swung their arms back and forth, eager to see what Rafael had planned.

"You need to take an Oaklandish trip," he told her.

"Oaklandish...?"

"You'll see when we get there," he said, chuckling at her pronunciation with her accent.

"You seriously don't have to spend all this money on me," Anais said, linking arms with him.

"You need Oaklandish something, Anais. Even if you do end up going back home." Rafael opened the door for her and she smiled before walking inside. "Have at it," he said.

"Oh my god, are you sure?"

He gave her a look and she began roaming the store for something to catch her eye. Rafael did his best to restrain himself from purchasing anything for himself. He did find a hat that he didn't already own and decided he needed it desperately.

"I found this and this..." Anais looked at the hat Rafael was holding and the hat she had picked up. She let out a giggle when they realized it was the same hat.

"Well, then," Rafael laughed. "Great minds think alike I guess."

"We can be twins!" she concluded, finding the situation incredibly hilarious. "It'll be cute. Do you like this sweatshirt?"

"Of course I do."

"Oh and I like this onsie too but no one wears onsies except for little kids so..."

"Um, Diggs and I wear onsies all the damn day, girl," Rafael said, finding a onsie that looked close enough to Anais's size.

"Oh good because I really wanted one low key," she giggled taking the onsie into her arms. "This should be enough, yes?"

"Oh yeah. And tell Cornell your best friend Rafa bought this for you. I wanna see his reaction," Rafael said handing his credit card to the cashier.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup."

"You're so sweet." She laced her fingers with his and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Thank you so much."

"No problem." He handed her the bag with a smile.

"I feel like I need to do something for you! You keep buying me things and taking me places and I haven't done anything," Anais whined, squeezing Rafael's hand.

"Please," he scoffed. "You don't have to do anything for me. I just like hanging out with you."

"Rafa! Stop! You're so sweet." She stood on her toes to kiss his cheek.

Daveed's comment about Anais liking him back found its way to the forefront of Rafael's mind. What if she really did like him back? She kissed him twice already. That had to mean something.

Maybe she's just affectionate. Like really affectionate. She already told me she loves Cornell.

Or does she?

"Wait, do you hear that?" Anais asks stopping dead in her tracks.

"Hear what?"

"It's my girl Riri! Pon De Replay!" she squeals, pulling Rafael closer to the music.

The live DJ spinning the tracks smiled when he saw that Anais was enjoying the music. He smiled wider when Anais began to dance.

"I'll hold your bag so you can dance," Rafael offered.