Chapter 16

It was just a normal day at school, well, as normal as it could get after X-Factor. Sure, there was the occasional request for a photo or autograph, but most of the hype had died down. High schoolers attention spans are quite short.
After school, Dinah and Camila and Normani and I parted ways. On the way to my house, Rocket by Beyoncé came on the radio.

"Remember you sang this to me?" I asked smiling, quickly looking over at Normani before turning my eyes back to the road. She gave me a small smile and nodded.

"Yeah," she replied, quietly. She looked at the window, seemingly deep in thought.

"What are you thinking about, love?" I asked, curious to know what was on her mind. She was silent for a while.

"Did you cheat on me?" she blurted out, turning to look at me. I began coughing, choking on all the lies I was about to tell. I pulled over on the side of the road and turned my hazard lights on.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to think of a way to weasel my way out of the situation.

"Don't act dumb, y/n. You know what the hell I mean." she said in an annoyed and impatient tone. She was surprisingly calm, and that made me nervous.

"I mean, like, what is your definition of cheating? Because, like, everybody has, like, different standards and i'm not sure if, like, you mean, like, did I-"

She cut me off, "Y/n, I'm gonna ask you one more time, and you better not lie to me. Did you cheat on me?"

"Kinda." I replied, exhaling loudly.

"Did you fuck her?" she asked calmly. I flinched at the vulgar language.

"No, I wouldn't do that! I-I-I...", I stammered, unable to formulate a proper sentence,"We kissed." I finally admitted, putting my head down, feeling terrible for having betrayed Normani.

"I wouldn't do that", she mocked me and rolled her eyes. "That's all?" she asked, making sure there was nothing else to add to the story. I nodded and she sighed loudly before cursing, "Dammit, y/n!"

We were both silent, the only sound heard was my hazard lights blinking.

"I'm so sorry," I said quietly.

"Do you have feelings for her?" she asked.
I opened my mouth to answer her, but no words came out. She looked at me, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I love you," I finally replied.

Normani shook her head, "That doesn't answer my question."

"No. I don't," I said.

"Are you sure?" she asked and I nodded my head, not sure if I was actually sure. She crossed her arms and looked out the window and I took that as my cue to keep driving. The rest of the ride was completely silent and when we got to my house she went straight upstairs and changed into her pajamas before getting into my bed. I walked in my room to find her laying in bed with her back to the door so I couldn't see her face.

"Do you want me to sleep on the couch?" I asked.

She turned and looked at me, her eyes red from crying. She shook her head, "I'm hurt but I still want to be close to you...It's dumb, I know." she chuckled slightly.

I changed and climbed into bed. She snuggled in close to me and I wrapped my arms around her. We laid like that in silence.

"I love you." I said quietly and she just looked at me.

She turned her back to me again.
"Goodnight."