Dreams and Vampires, Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

I was beginning to worry about putting others in danger by sharing this bizarre story with them. I wouldn't have told Raithe if she hadn't been here today.

     "Ben may be able to help you," she continued. "And besides, I can't  stay with you for more than a few days. Mom is getting nosy, and there is no way she would accept this."

     "I don't know. I hate to put him in danger as well. Besides, he might get the wrong idea." I really didn't want to get anything going between Ben and me. He had already asked me out several times since Peter died, and I turned him down.

     "Oh, for pity sakes," said Raithe sarcastically. "I know you can handle Ben. Anyway, knowing Ben, he would love the idea of protecting you."

     "That's what I'm afraid of. I really don't need a mother hen right now. I need answers," I said defensively.

     "Please, Laurel," Raithe pleaded, "just be up front with him and he will behave himself."

     "OK, OK, you win. What time is it? I told Ben I would call him this evening. We need to get out of here and go out to dinner before we go to my house. You can ask the questions I know you are dying to ask, at dinner."

     "You know me too well," she said with a smile. "I have a million questions. Where are we going? Someplace that sells alcohol, I need a drink, and I am sure you do."

     I thought about that for a few minutes. "How about Abruzzi's?"

     "Sounds good to me."

     It was early when we got to the restaurant, so we ordered a drink first. Once we ordered our meal, we settled in and I waited for Raith to ask her questions. I didn't have to wait long.

     "So tell me, what did this vampire look like?" She paused to look around and make sure no one was listening to us. " What did you say his name was?"

     "Naken is his name, and he was tall, about six foot. The only reason I know that is because I know how tall Julie is. He was standing behind her the first time I saw him. His hair was dark and long. His eyes were almost white like his skin, not like an albino. They were light blue, and when the porch light hit them, they looked like crystals. He looked young, in his late teens or early twenties."

     "Was he good-looking?" she asked with a hint of a smile.

     "I smiled, "he was young and beautiful and very sexy."

     "Why, Laurel, I'm surprised at you, at your age!" she said with mock indignity.

     "I may be in my fifties, but I'm not dead," I answered defensively.

     We both erupted into laughter just as our food arrived.

     Once our waiter left, we started talking again. "The thing that bothers me the most is that this might be my fault. It must have something to do with the regression."

     "OK, I know I've already said this, but how is that possible? This isn't about past lives. It's about alternate lives, right?"

     "Well, yes, but I've told you before I've always believed that we are tapping into other lives, not that we have actually lived them before."

     Raithe and I had talked a lot about this, but she really hadn't made up her mind if she agreed with my theory.

     "Hmmm, that would prove your theory." She studied me for a long moment. "He did say 'my world.' didn't he?"

     "And so did Addel, slash Sally. That would also explain why he took Julie and Sally. He doesn't want humans knowing about their world." I thought about that as my brain was about to explode.