Chapter Three: The Hard Way

The team eventually decided on grabbing takeout on their way back to headquarters.  They avoided getting Chinese, it reminded them too much of the time Reid had struggled to use chopsticks and called them pencils.

Sitting back with a burrito, Garcia licked her lips. She knew she shouldn't be eating at a time like this.  She was supposed to be sad.  But the Mexican food made her mouth water and she couldn't help taking a bite.

As she chewed, she looked around at her team.  Derek had stabbed his taco with a fork and was busy pushing the insides around the wrapper.  Emily was barely nibbling on hers, and JJ refused to order anything at all.  The only two, excluding herself, that seemed to be eating were Rossi and Hotch, but even then the two were multitasking, discussing things every time they had cleared their mouths.

Each member of the team had their eyes trained on a television on the wall, which was playing the footage from the apartment building's security cameras.  They had started watching it ten minutes prior, and the time stamp at the bottom of the screen read ten at night.  So far things were normal.

"Garcia," Hotch set his burrito down and looked at her, "I need you to run a search on missing persons and unsolved murders for anyone around the age of and/or resembling Reid physically."  She looked down at the closed laptop in front of her.  "Okay," she opened it up and rubbed the mouse to wake it from sleep mode.

The rest of the room remained silent for a few minutes.  No one spoke, or dared to, and the only sound was the tapping of Garcia's fingers against the keyboard and the familiar crunching of wrappers.

"Hotch," Derek spoke up after a moment.  He was obviously angry, "Are we just going to sit here?  We need to do something!"  He stabbed his taco again in frustration and left the fork there.

Hotch leaned forward in his chair, "Morgan, you know perfectly well that, currently, there is nothing we can do.  None of the interviews were conclusive, and we barely have enough information to come up with a working profile."  Derek dropped his head into his palms, he knew Hotch was right.  His hands clenched into fists on his forehead.  "Goddamnit," he mumbled.

Before anything else eventful could happen, Hotch's phone vibrated on the table.  He picked it up and looked at the caller ID before he answered.  "Hotchner," he spoke into the receiver.

"Yes. I understand.  We'll be there in five minutes."  His worried expression betrayed his usual calm demeanor.  He ended the call and shoved the phone in his pocket as he stood up.

"What is it?" Emily asked, concerned.

He looked at the group, each member individually, before explaining.  "A body was just found near Capital Plaza Apartments.  They are unable to identify it."

"That's where Reid lives," Garcia confirmed in a whisper.  "Do you think..." she couldn't finish the sentence.

"Me and Rossi will go to the scene, everyone else stays here.  Garcia, continue searching."

Hotch and Rossi left before anyone could argue.

About 3 pm, Unknown

Reid found himself waking up.  Again. At this point, he was tired of being tired.  He groaned as he moved into a sitting position.  The injury inflicted on his stomach stung and he grimaced.

When the pain subsided, he chanced a look about the room again.  The food he had placed on the chair before he passed out was gone, and the walls seemed to be spread out farther than he had originally thought.

He carefully moved his legs to the side of the table.

Then, at a painstakingly slow speed, he slid off the surface and planted his feet on the ground.  He was surprised at how warm the floor was.  This caused him to look down.