~Prologue~

Prologue:

She ran, ignoring the constant pain emerging in her leg. There was nothing that mattered more than saving her child. Her only child at that. The woman held her child close to her as she ran. She whipped her head back, glancing at her husband, fear glazing her eyes.

"Run!" He yelled pushing his wife into the small boat that was lying on the shore of the lake. The woman held the baby close to her chest, trying to regain her breath. She pressed her back against the seat as she sat on the floor. Her husband sat next to her, wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulder. They sat in silence for it was the only sense of peace they had at the moment. The boat had been magically programmed, for it would bring them to America. To the state of Washington, where none of them could find them. Not even he could find them.

The shaken woman rested her head and whispered hoarsely, "I can't believe they're dead." A single tear fell down the woman's face. Her husband nodded silently.

"Yes, it was quite the loss. James and Lily Potter were brave, very brave." The woman sniffled. She had known Lily personally. Although she and Lily were in different houses, Lily didn't seem to mind. Lily had the heart of gold, so pure that nothing evil could be brought into it. Lily had helped her when she had been bullied by the other Slytherins, having had experience with the greasy-blacked haired kid in the woman's house, who had been bullied by Potter and Black.

"How's the child?" The woman asked, hinting about the Potter's son.

"Alive, although the Dark Lord has vanished." Vanished, as he had not existed. Lord Voldemort had the wrong beliefs, that is why they fled. There was a day that they had believed in ridding the world of Muggle-Borns, feeling they were unworthy to be calling themselves a magical being. The couple had changed their mind after they had had their baby; their baby daughter. They realized this was not worth fighting for. Wanting their daughter to grow up in a safe environment, away from the evil in their world. At the moment, the school she would now be sent to when she came of age, would be safer, safe enough to live a normal magical life.

********

Snooping around the attic searching for the cookies her parents had hidden away, the little girl wandered around curiously, eyeing the boxes piled in the room. Not looking where she was going, she tripped over a box, causing it to fall over. Random trinkets fell out of it as she peered cautiously. Picking up a green banner, she saw a snake delicately embedded into it. The word 'Slytherin' had been stretched out across the emerald green. Looking down, she notices a small piece of paper in which she picks up. It was a letter. Opening it up, she figured out it was a invitation. An invitation to Hogwarts. Taking the banner, she ran to her room and pinned it to her wall. It was fascinating to her for some reason. A reason which she couldn't pinpoint. Her mother came into the room and gasped, for she had not wanted her daughter to find the box full of Hogwarts stuff. She yelled for her husband and he came rushing into the room.

"What is it." He asks slightly out of breath.

"Care to explain that to our daughter." She folded her arms with a frown. "I told you that we should've gotten rid of it."

"We need to let her face the reality. She's not going there. You're going to make her eager to go if you don't tell her the truth. She won't listen to us if we don't tell the truth. She'll loose her trust in us, it's just how it works." He answered his wife with a small sigh and sat on his daughter's bed.

"Isn't it cool Daddy?" The nine-year old girl beamed. He smiled at her happiness and told her about it. About Hogwarts and how they were placed in Slytherin. He told her about his first Quittich game all the way to when he met her mother. The excitement in their girl's eyes broke her heart. She would not be going there, due to it being far too dangerous.

The Dark Lord would get his hands on her and turn her into a Death Eater. They would never want her to get hurt; to be like them. It was because they loved their daughter, for it was Emma, their little shining star. A glimmer of hope, changing their lives for the better. Leading them away from the darkness once and for all.