No Wolves in California

Not edited.***

Song: Idol by BTS
______________________________

Waking up the next morning was hell.

Waking up the next morning, in bed with Jackson, with no memory of how I got there was worse than hell.

I tried hard to ignore the stinging in my side as Jackson drove us to school. I could tell he was still upset about this morning. He was still upset I was keeping something from him. Jackson and I didn't have secrets.

"I'm sorry." I whispered as I fiddled with the hem of my shirt.

It was silent for a few moments before Jackson let out a long sigh.

"Why won't you tell me?" His tone was as soft as mine.

"I'm scared. I'm scared that if I say it out loud it won't just be a bad dream. It'll be real." I looked up to meet his concerned eyes. My own started to fill with tears. "Please, Jacky, please. For the sake of my sanity, don't make me say it. Not now."

Jackson didn't say anything. Instead he pulled over into a vacant lot, unbuckled me, and pulled me into his arms. I adjusted myself on his lap, my arms wrapped tightly around his neck, and let my tears flow freely.

Jackson gently rubbed my back, whispering soothing words into my hair. I was beyond terrified. It felt like that thing was always around me, watching. Waiting for a chance to strike again. It was the most horrible thing I had ever felt before.

I hated keeping things from Jackson, but I knew this was one thing I couldn't tell him. I couldn't pull him into this.

Once my tears had subsided, I slowly leaned back. Jackson gave me a small smile before he gently kissed my forehead.

"I won't ask about it again, but when you're ready to talk, I'm here, ok?"

I nodded, feeling forever grateful for having this kid as my best friend. I carefully maneuvered myself back into my seat and buckled up. Jackson started his Porsche and continued on to our school.

******

"Okay, so let's see this thing." Stiles said to Scott and I as we walked up to him.

I let out a sigh as Scott and I reluctantly pulled up our shirts to show Stiles our newly acquired bites.

"It was too dark to see much, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf." Scott said, as we fixed our shirts.

Images flashed through my mind. Whatever the hell that was, it didn't seem like a wolf. Not entirely.

"A wolf bit you? Uh huh. No, not a chance."

"We heard a wolf howling." Scott said, as we walked towards the school.

"No, you didn't."

"How do you know what we heard?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at the boy.

"Because California doesn't have wolves, okay? Not in like 60 years."

"Really?" Scott asked.

"Yes, really. There are no wolves in California."