XV⎮The Great Looming Spider

Start from the beginning

They spoke of how curious it was that they each possessed such differing opinions of their own characters, and how they consistently undervalued themselves at every turn. Emma could, therefore, not castigate Milli for slighting herself when she, Emma, was guilty of the same thing. Milli was right.

Had she not just last night, at the ball, allowed those contemptible patronesses to occasion her to feel unworthy and wanting? Indeed! She had imagined herself unacceptable and less than they. She had no one to blame but herself, for only she could bestow them that power.

"Bravo, Milli," she said, as they laughed at their own folly. "How eloquently you state your case. Very well, we shall have no more of that foolishness and shall, henceforth, consider ourselves queens of our own destinies."

"Oh!" Milli's hand flew unexpectedly to her mouth. "I quite forgot why I came this way to find you in the first place. Victoria called on us earlier, quite without warning, but only for a moment, for she was in a great hurry to be gone again."

Emma began to smile, thinking to herself that Winterly had no doubt berated his sister for inviting them without first discussing the scheme with him. Victoria had, like as not, payed an early visit to offer her regret, and to withdraw the invitation.

"You must be so disappointed, Milli." She patted her sister's hands, but was unable to hide her relief. After that last exchange with Winterly, she was more than willing to avoid the man the rest of her life.

"How so?" Milli blinked her confusion.

"I thought..." It was now her turn to look nonplussed. "What did Victoria want?" It was clear now that she had made an erroneous assumption.

"Only that she had been called away unexpectedly — she did not discuss the nature of her business — but she gave me to understand that we were still to leave as planned, notwithstanding the mode of our conveyance." Milli gave no sign that she had noticed her sister's shoulders sagging imperceptibly with disappointment, and so went on, "She has arranged for us to take a post-chaise, on Friday, as far as York. Therefrom she will have her own coachman collect us to take us the rest of the way to Winterly Castle."

Emma gave a tight smile and, after her sister left her to her letter-writing, sat some moments in silence before she expelled a troubled breath. She had, it seemed, many of those to release of late; and they were always troubled.

The day of their departure finally arrived with as much celerity as Emma had feared it would. Her trunks were all packed and awaiting her in the vestibule, and it was now only a matter of exhorting her sister to make haste.

With a light knock at the door, she entered Milli's room, but was brought up short when her sister gave a startled yelp and slammed the lid of her trunk down in a hurry. "Lud!" cried Milli, looking sheepish, "you gave me a start, sister!"

"Why do you look so naughty, Milli?" Emma narrowed her eyes playfully and approached her sister. She eyed Milli's heavy trunk askance. "What are you hiding in there?"

"Nothing," Milli averred, suppressing a smile, and she shooed her out with the promise that she would not be much longer.

By the time they had both kissed their aunt and uncle goodbye, it was nearly six o'clock in the morning. The private, bright yellow chaise, procured at the Winterlys' expense, had arrived on time and as soon as their traps had been secured, they set off along the cobbled streets, the heavy fog cleaving to the pavements and buildings.