01 Birthday girls

I was awoken at the crack of dawn by someone shaking my shoulder and asking me to wake up. Cracking an eye open, I saw Clary, my adoptive sister, looking wide awake. I sighed and buried my face into my pillow.

«What's going on? It's too early for this» I groaned.

«I'm sorry Sarah» she said «I'm just so stressed about this interview I couldn't sleep.» I sat up and decided to listen to her. She seemed stressed and exhausted and if I could help her than I was going to.

«Hey, relax. You're an amazing drawer and you're going to get into this stupid school because if you don't then they're a bunch of morons who can't tell a good drawing from a bad one» she laughed at my comment. «But you don't seem convinced enough for me. I think I know what will help» I said with a mischievous smile. I jumped out of bed, took her hand and dragged her downstairs to the living room.

Jocelyn, Clary's mom and my adoptive one, had already left to work. She adopted me when I was 6 after a fire started in my house. I was at their house while that happened but unfortunately my family was inside and didn't have time to get out. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them. However, Jocelyn had raised me and I was so grateful for it. Clary became more than one of my best friend, she became my sister.

I told Clary to seat on the couch while I rummaged through one drawer from which I took a box with a big golden bow on it. I smiled at her as I handed her the gift.

«Happy birthday little sister» I said.

«By a couple hours» she muttered «Thank you»

Inside the box was a new set of colored pencils. I knew hers were in bad shape and I thought she might want new ones. There were the basic shades of every color and I knew she would enjoy the choice in color.

«These are beautiful» she whispered «You are amazing» Next thing I knew, her arms were around me and I had trouble breathing. I patted her arm as she went back to her previous position.

«I thought these could help you relax. You'll be fine Clary»

«Well, since we are on the subject of gifts giving, let me get you yours» she said as she ran up to her room. I waited a few seconds before she came back with a small gift bag. She handed it to me with a big grin. Inside was a drawing notebook and a music one. I drew a lot on my free time, although I wasn't as good as my sister. It was more like doodling. But I was a good musician. I wrote lyrics and songs. The notebooks were covered in Clary's drawings and looked absolutely gorgeous.

«Thank you so so much» I said giving her a hug.

«Happy birthday to you too twin» she winked. This was a joke between us. Oddly enough, we were born on the same day which was fun since our mothers were great friends.

After our gift giving sessions, we had breakfast and got ready for the day as Clary had to prepare for her interview and I had some friends to see before waiting with Simon to see what Clary's results would be. I was applying a bit of light make up when my phone buzzed.

Sorry I can't be here with you for the day. Promise I'll see you later tonight. Happy birthday baby. Love you xx -Jace-

I smiled to myself as I read the text. Jace was my boyfriend of a year or so. We had met on the street as he bumped into me without seeing me. He could sometimes be really odd, and most of my friends had heard of him but never seen him. Even Clary didn't meet him. Only Jocelyn did, once. Other than that, he was a real sweetheart and always made sure he would sneak into my house to see me even though he was really busy.

It is with thoughts of Jace that I left the house to meet some friends. They took me shopping for a few hours and we spent the entire morning together. At lunch, we stopped at one of their house to eat and for them to give me my gifts. They got me make up for the most part but I was honestly just glad to spend the entire morning with them.

The time came and I had to leave to meet Simon at a coffee near Clary's school. He was a pretty good friend even though Clary was closest to him than I was. In high school, I detached myself from them as I made new friends but the two of them stayed together no matter what. I still loved spending time with the two of them and even though Simon was nerdy and quirky, he was a nice guy and the only one who understood my geeky references. Simon was already seated at a table when I got there. He stood up to give me a hug wishing me a happy birthday.

We waited for Clary to finish her interview and when she did, both Simon and I looked at her defeated expression.

"Give me the professors' names and I... I will end them." He said as we both gave him a look. "You know, with... with a scathing e-mail to the dean."

"Don't bother" Clary answered handing me her letter. I took a look at it and smiled shaking my head as I passed it to Simon. In bold red letters, it said 'CONGRATULATIONS'.

"Sad face, really?" Simon said disbelievingly. Clary laughed at him with a bright happy smile.

"Well played, well played" I laughed nodding approvingly.

"Thank you. You know, it's weird. They kind of liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel."

"You're welcome"

"This day will go down in history as the greatest 18th birthday I ever had."

"Well little sis, it's the only one we'll ever have so it better be great" I winked at her.

"Damn right" Simon said "Which is why we are celebrating tonight. Yes, with Maureen, after our show."

"Absolutely" I agreed heartedly as the waitress gave us our lattes.

"What's the deal between you and Maureen by the way?" Clary asked with a hint of jealousy in her voice. The deal was, while Clary and Maureen were in love with Simon, I was pretty sure he had some kind of crush on me. I tried to make it clear that I wasn't interested in him like that but I don't think he got the hint. However, he did know about Jace. He knew I had a boyfriend but still didn't want to move on.

"What deal? No deal. We sing together."

"You seriously don't know she's been crushing on you this whole time?" I asked. He looked at me with wide eyes before stammering

"What? No. No"

"Simon, how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realize that the person sitting right there is in love with you?" Clary said longingly

"I guarantee you I'm not the only smart, perceptive person to make that mistake." He answered looking at me. But I didn't notice. I was too focused on the table where instead of a biscotti, which I could swear I left here, was a drawing of one. Weird.

"That is a latte" Simon said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"But I could have sworn I had a biscotti" I frowned.

"Maybe you just ate it really fast and didn't even notice. Happens to me all the time. When I'm happy. When I'm sad" I laughed "But, I will replace your mythical biscotti with an actual one"

"Thanks" I smiled gratefully.

"You know what? Here's to the two of you guys" he said raising his latte. Both Clary and I lifted our cups as well.

"L'chaim" we said in synch laughing.