Chapter Thirteen

His lips mold into mine with much, much force, but I press myself into him just as hard.  Then, when I realize that this was exactly what I'd been avoiding, my eyes fly open and I lean back, catching his hand that had been wandering down my back torturously slow. Hunter looks down at me with dark eyes that only just flash red for a brief second, his lips slightly parted. Then, he takes a step backwards and lets me lean against the wall to catch the breath that I don't need, but that seems vital in this moment. Just to give me something to do.

"THIS," I emphasize, pointing between him and me, "is exactly what I was hoping to avoid."

He looks at me, and out of nowhere, he smiles cockily, "You don't have a lot of self restraint then."

I swear, my nostrils flare. Not just a little bit, but like a raging bull. I see red, and I know that the anger that I'd felt before is coming back in tenfolds, clouding my vision like a thunderous sky.

"I don't have any self-restraint?" I whisper, my voice terrifyingly calm and my tone completely even. That makes it all the more harder to contain. "Let me ask you this, Hunter," I begin with my head cocked to the side and with red, narrowed eyes, taking a menacing step towards him, "Who was it exactly who kissed the other first?" I pause and lift a finger in the air, looking upwards in mock deep thought. Then, "Oh! That's right; you did. In fact, if I remember correctly, you threw yourself at me the moment my two feet landed on this floor."

Hunter's eyes flash red and I know that he knows that I'm right, and that he's trying hard not to punch the wall because of it. He does it anyway. His fist lunges forward in immeasurable speed and a crash echoes when the wood splinters and a gaping hole indents. I shake my head at him with disbelief as he takes a step back. "Unbelievable. You know," I begin, wild eyes scanning the dark room as thought after thought imprints into my brain, "I've been going through hell wondering why my bond with Jay has completely disappeared, as in poof, gone, and why the hell I'm doing this with you now. So don't start this shit with me, okay? You're giving me a headache."

He looks at me for a moment, and the storm raging deep in his dark eyes seems to lighten up just a fraction as he mulls something over. Then, surprise courses through me as a little smile twists his full lips. A smile. "What are you smiling about?" I demand, crossing my arms over my chest. I don't like not knowing what's going on in his head.

I get my answer pretty quickly.

He takes two steps towards me and presses me up against the wall with his lean, muscular body, tilting his head downwards to stare at me, that seductive smile still plastered on his face. He traces a finger down my cheek slowly and softly, and it takes everything in me not to lean into his touch. "You-you're playing dirty." I whisper, and I curse at myself when my voice breaks at the end. He bends his face closer to mine, and I let out a sigh when his lips brush over mine. He comes closer, and closer, and his lips are mere millimetres from mine-

Crash!

Our heads whip to the side when the other window located on the opposite wall bursts into a million pieces. Time seems to slow as I watch the splinters fly towards us. They're huge, and coming at us in full speed. Hunter pushes my head into this chest and shields me with his lean body, letting out barely audible winces as the shards bury into his thin tee-shirt and into his back. I let out a gasp as a thud follows, but Hunter spins around and keeps me behind him, just as a throaty laugh echoes around the dimly lit room. I take a step to the side and ignore the warning look that Hunter gives me, looking around to see what just happened. The window is merely a gaping hole in the middle of uneven shards of glass that soar into the center like icy spears. Blood smears the tips of the shards, and on the ground, a shaking figure is already getting up.