The Scientific Formula for Love

| ZONE 3

| December 12, 2015

Mikey decided that Gabe was fantastic at arranging dates, even though there just wasn’t much to do about romance in the desert.

Gabe and Mikey were lying on the roof of Gabe’s hideout, staring at the stars. They were far away enough to not see the blinding lights of Battery City block out the tiny diamonds in the black sky. There was a slight chill in the air, but compared to the heat during the day, it felt nice. Gabe was holding Mikey’s good hand, rubbing circles on the back with his thumb.

“Who is it that you like, Mikey?” Gabe asked, breaking the silence that surrounded them.

Mikey was caught off guard by his question. He had been expecting the older to continue hitting on him, not ask about who he was crushing on.

“It’s very obvious that you don’t like me in a romantic way. I’m cool with that, y’know, but I do still care about you. I help my friends, Mikey. So tell me what’s up.”

“There’s this guy back in Battery City that I had to leave behind,” Mikey finally said, “We were friends since I was in the third grade. Ever since I left him behind, I just… I can’t stop thinking about him. I don’t think it’s love just yet, but it’s getting there. I know it.”

Gabe kissed Mikey’s cheek and said, “You know what they say. If you love something, set it free. And, knowing this friend of yours, he’ll eventually join you. So, until that day comes, and until your true love takes you… maybe I could be the one to make you happy.”

Mikey smiled at Gabe. In all honesty, he was expecting Gabe to command that he forget all about Pete. Instead, though, he was supportive about it.

“Thank you, Gabe,” Mikey murmured. Gabe just smiled and pulled Mikey close, pressing his lips lightly against Mikey’s for a sweet, innocent kiss.

| ZONE 3

| December 25, 2015

Gabe arrived at the Killjoy’s station with a few supplies he had stolen from a BLI supply truck when Mikey and Gerard were painting the Trans Am. Gabe must’ve been in a playful mood, as he smacked Mikey’s ass without a second thought, even with Gerard in the room. He laughed at Mikey’s reaction, even though he was sprayed with the black paint that the younger had been using.

“Hey, if you guys are looking to enjoy each other’s company,” Gerard grumbled, “could you at least do it in the other room?”

Gabe just smirked and began to kiss Mikey’s neck. Mikey knew that Gabe was only playing around, but it was a bit uncomfortable. “G-Gabe, could you not… y’know…”

“Relax, sweetie, I’m not going to go too far.”

Gerard sighed, “Get a room, you two.”

Gabe rolled his eyes and gave Mikey a kiss on the cheek. “I was wondering if you’d like to go on another date sometime. I know a place with that’s perfect for watching sunsets.”

Mikey smiled, “Sounds great, Gabe. I’d love to.”

| ZONE 3

| January 1, 2016

The wind played with Mikey’s freshly-dyed blonde locks as he stood outside. The desert air felt nice for once, with it not being too hot or too cold. He was deep in thought, knowing just what he was getting into.

Gerard’s pep-talk echoed through his mind as a sigh escaped his lips. Suicide. What they were doing was fucking suicide. But they couldn’t let the world go on like this. Sure, America wasn’t perfect, but it was a hell of a lot better than Battery City.