A Success

●●●

" ...Bye-bye.. Russell. "

She whispered as she pushed me down the stairs.
I'm falling down, I didn't fly just like her.
Ah, I can already feel her pain.
I can't breathe, I can't move, I can't see.
No wonder.. Humans can't fly.
..Finally...
...
I finally reached the end of my
Pleasant Dream.

--- bzzzt! ---

« Russell, Congratulations! »
" Huh..? " I opened my eyes as I sat up on the bed and looked at my right side to see a TV with a girl inside. Talking.
« The 7th day of your Happy Dream has proven to be most celebratory day indeed! »
..What do you mean by... 7th day..?
I dont understand... I remember nothing about this Happy Dream.
What is the meaning of this?
« ..Now then. Regarding the Happy Dream Rehabilitation Program you have been practicing in... By offering your own life to a person who you formerly killed, you have been suceeded brilliantly!! What a truly fantastic thing! »
How could THAT be fantasic? I sighed as I kept on listening to the TV, saying that I was the first 'success' on this experiment. My death penalty has been spared, and such.
« What do you think? Aren't you glad? »
...I honestly don't know. 'A glittering life goes ahead of you' huh. Maybe something bad happened to me before. Probably coma? Or... I shook my head. I shouldn't think that much since my head hurts...
As the video ended which made the TV shut down, I stared at the ceiling quietly. Why am I here? How did I get here? I need to get out.

As I was about to get off, I heard a door open slowly to reveal a man who has bluish hair.
" #23, Boy R. You can get out of the room now. " I nod as I got off and then followed him. Before I get to the door, I looked back at the empty syringe that has some orange substance dripping out of it. I shook my head and walked out of the room. The hallway was white, though I see names on each door that has a big red X on it.
..But mines doesn't have one. I see that some are experimented too.

" So, who did you tell it to buddy? " I looked up at him with a confused look on my face. " ..What do you mean...? "
" Huh? Come on! I mean I was wondering who did you tell the truth to? About the Happy Dream thing! That silver haired chick? Probably that hooded man? Or that dragon dude? Hm.. who else? "
" I... dont understand what you're saying. " He stopped walking as I did the same and looked at him. " H-huh.. Buddy don't tell me you... "

'' Forgot about it? ''

" This is new... We should take you to-- " " Raymond! why are you taking so long? " " Yue! No time for scolding, it's about Russell. He seemed to.. "
I clearly don't remember anything.. What really did happen back then?
Why is this Raymond person panicking about it? It seemed not to be important anymore, the "rehabilitation" thing is already over.
The two looked at me worriedly, I tilted my head in return. " We should take you to Walter. " Who is Walter? What a weird name though. I nodded in response as I followed the two.
Raymond opened the door as I went in with Yue following along.
I saw a blonde male typing something in his computer. As the two of us got inside, he stopped and turned around.

" Oh, it's you, Russell. What brings you here? "
"..." " Uh, Walter... About Russell he.. "
As Yue explained some things to him, Raymond went in.
" It's surprising to see you like this buddy... It must've been rough there huh? " even if I didn't understand what he is talking about, I only hummed as a response. I wonder what really happened back then? Why was I experimented for? Did i do something wrong? I winced a bit when I felt pain from trying to remember some things. He ruffled my hair and smiled " Don't push it too much buddy, take your time. "
Later, Walter took seats for us to sit down. He looked at me and examined, " So.. You really didn't remember anything? Even us? " I shook my head in response.
" I see, I'm surprised the drug made him forgot. It wasn't even written in the documents that it'll make the participant to forget about their crimes and the dreams they get for seven days. After all he is the first one to make the experiment a success. " Raymond sighed " This stuff is expensive too... "

" Let's make him try to remember then, you know, by trying to talk it out? " Yue suggested as the two nodded in agreement.
" Russell, do you know why you are here? " " I told you that I don't know. "
Yue sweatdropped, " right.. so, you were experimented with a drug called Happy Dream. " Happy Dream huh?
Raymond tapped his chin and then spoke " You were tested for seven days. And you get a pleasant dream with your.. friends. " I don't remember having new friends though.
" Um.. Well, actually the reason why you were experimented is because you did some crimes. The purpose of this dream is for you to realise your mistakes. " Walter said, and so on.
Though I don't believe them.
I wouldn't do such a crime like that, what they're saying is just full of craziness. " I.. See. " even though I didn't really get it. " Do you remember your home by chance, Russell? " I shook my head and looked down.
" His relatives seem to not want him back anymore, and we can't put him in an orphanage... "
" I can take care of myself. " the three looked at me, looking like they misheard what I said. I sighed, " I said that I can take care of myself. " I repeated.

" Are you really sure, buddy-? " I nodded, I can do this probably.
" I guess we can let him live alone, but we'll take care of him some time though. "
Walter looked at me,
" And take your time to remember if you can, Russell. "
Later then I got a room in an apartment, its not that far from the HD company that those three worked on. I walked around the place for a bit to make myself sleepy. Once I walked in my room, I decided to take a look at the window near my bed. The city has lots of colorful lights, It seems I'm not fond of this since it's really bright.

' I'm sorry, I...
Stop looking at me so kindly, everyone.
If you don't, I'll... '

My eyes widen as I shook my head.

What was that..?

Maybe I need rest, my head's been hurting the whole day since I'm trying to remember.. Oh well. I turn the lights off as I lay down. I closed my eyes as I let myself fall in a deep slumber.