"Besides," Deidre continues innocently, "All we did was chat." Whilst nibbling over stolen sweets, no doubt.

"How does Fraser know about the ball?" Elspeth suddenly wonders. Fraser was a stableboy, stationed outside the mountains for most part of the day everyday, if anything, it's usually him that remains clueless to all the royal gossip.

Deirdre places the sheer fabric down and reaches out for a roll of gold silk resting idly on a table nearby. She begins to make measurements, dotting areas that will later be cut off. Deirdre speaks a while later, when there isn't a need to heavily concentrate on her project, "Since it's going to be a big event, they needed more servants to do some heavy lifting... Fraser volunteered." Elspeth prays the boy doesn't make a fool of himself at the process.

A groan from beside them warrants their attention. It was just Alexus, who pats her sweating forehead with a small towel, "I'm going to die in this heat!"

Deirdre pities Alexus because she knew the girl was not over exaggerating. Unfortunately, the laundry room is one of the chambers that resides near the base of the mountain, where the scorching heat and high humidity gave way to exhaustion and illness.

For Deirdre, thirteen years of working in this very room had trained her to become tolerant of the temperature, but there were still days when she herself gave in to the torridity. "Drink some water," Elspeth advices Alexus, who heeds her word and walks across the room to pour herself a glass.

As soon as they see her gulp down the cool water, they return their attentions back to work. "Elspeth?" Deirdre asks, slicing the gold silk with a pair of scissors.

The elderly woman looks up at her charge, noticing a gentle frown marring the maidens bird-like features, "Yes, dear?"

There was a slight pause, hesitation on the girls part. Elspeth straightens her spine, wondering what could bring about the self-doubt Deirdre was feeling. She didn't need to wait long, as the question is blurted out in a hushed tone, "How come I never get to serve at the festivities?"

Instantly, Elspeth's heart aches, because no matter how nonchalantly Deirdre worded the question, she knew the girl was dying to go.

Grand celebrations, whatever they are held for, were the highlights of catering within the mountain. There were activities, music, entertainment, food and drinks. All the employee's, especially the youngins, rushed to land a role in serving at these events. It was not as if they could join in on the fun, they still had to work amongst the partygoers. But compared to their dull duties, watching from the sidelines was enough excitement to last a lifetime.

Deirdre has had many friends come back from these joyous balls to speak of the exotic instruments, handsome lords, and enchanting dances. A particular tale Deirdre remembers is of a magician the king had asked to perform not long ago, apparently, the man could turn rocks into doves, disappear in a cloud of mist, and pull swords out of his mouth! Deirdre was happy that her friends got to witness such a performance, but was upset that she wasn't there herself to enjoy it with them.

It isn't as if she can't go, the opportunity extended to her as well. Many times fellow servants would try to persuade her to volunteer, yet each time she politely declined because she did not have the heart to go against Elspeth's wishes. The woman had cared for her since she was but a small child, clueless and afraid, there was nothing Deirdre would not do for her happiness.

Elspeth sighs, "It's... hard to explain." How could she tell the young girl she was a danger to herself? That her very being was a temptation to men? "Just know I do this for your safety."

The same excuse every time. Deirdre sighs in disappointment, but drops the topic nonetheless.

It causes a wave of guilt to consume Elspeth, knowing that such a kind and loving girl has to hide in the shadows. Deirdre is deserving of so much more, but her gifts have become a curse, restricting her freedom even more so than her title as slave has already done. Her light was too pure for the monsters that lurked at the top of the mountain, the nobility and affluent men who would gladly seize her and squander her innocence and virtue.

Deirdre does not move to speak after Elspeth's feeble explanation, though not ten minutes later, she begins to hum her favorite lullaby once more.

The women at her station smile, relieved that the girl did not take the dismissal to heart. No one likes when the maiden is upset, it does not abide with her usual cheerfulness, making it a rather odd and disheartening occasion. They can all rest easy now that Dierdre's signature soft eyes have returned.

Elspeth finishes the final stitches on the cotton trousers and tosses them to a pile for washing. She then picks a dress from a different stack, finds that the problem was that the beading has come undone, and prepares the necessary tools to repair it.

All the while, she keeps an eye on Deirdre, vowing to tell her the whole truth in a not so distant future. Maybe then the young maiden could understand her actions.