The other door opened with a groan, letting in Tank. He clapped as he entered, a slow and deliberate clap that Kael didn't believe was genuine.

'You're doing quite well for your first time in the Brawls, Animas,' said Tank, his arms crossing over his broad chest. 'Are you sure you haven't done this before?'

'I'm sure,' Kael said, tossing aside his shirt. 'You owe me a new one, by the way.'

Tank smirked. 'I could give you a new shirt, but then you'll have to forfeit the information you want.'

'Typical.'

'I do have to say though—'

'Do you?' Kael quipped.

'—that my audience was expecting more... excitement from you. Where is the Animas we all know and fear? Surely it hasn't disappeared completely.'

'That's none of your business,' he replied.

'Oh, but now I'm just more curious, Animas.'

Kael regarded Tank coolly, refusing to rise to the bait. 'Didn't you hear what happened to the cat? You know, when it was curious.'

'I suppose you're better known for your sharp tongue than your sharp claws these days, aren't you?' Tank returned, his smirk widening. He turned toward the door, glancing at Drake who was attempting to blend in with the wall, and then left the room.

Kael turned away, his knuckles turning white as he clenched his fists.

'Just out of curiosity – and there's no need to give me the cat analogy – but say you were at your full strength,' said Drake, pausing as the suggestion settled, 'could you break free of that cuff?'

'I could,' said Kael.

Drake whistled. 'Well, that'd be handy.'

'And I'd kill Tank, too.'

'Well, no need to go that far,' said Drake. 'Tank's a right jerk but—'

'I wouldn't just kill Tank,' added Kael, his voice lowering. 'I'd kill everyone in this arena, including you, and I'd enjoy it.'

Drake fell silent. He didn't bring up the topic again.

*****

A mirror shattered.

Taryn flinched, her head ducking to her chest as she felt shards rain down around her. They didn't cut her, the shards too small to cause any harm, but she felt them as if they were large stones pelted at her, thrown until she gave in and let Asina take Fury. A part of her wondered if she should; it'd be over, wouldn't it? Asina wouldn't want anything from her after that.

Exactly, said Fury. She sounded in pain. The Alchemist will want nothing from you and so she will kill you. Do you really think she will let you live to run off and warn everyone?

Why do you want to stay with me? Taryn asked then, hearing the sounds of Asina's chanting behind her.

Consider yourself the lesser of two evils.

Taryn laughed out loud and Asina stumbled over her words, her chant pausing for a moment. I've never been called that before, Fury.

Am I not the lesser evil to Asina, Little Wings?

I guess you are.

There is always one.

The connection between them snapped, Fury ripped away as Asina threw more power into the exorcism. Instinctively Taryn reached for her, as if Fury had been right at her side, but she grasped only air and slumped back to the ground.