Chapter Twenty-Nine: Breathe

Start from the beginning

Ahsoka didn't even realize she was crying until she felt the drops of warm water on her hand. Only then did she correlate it back to the dampness in her eyes.

"Come on! Breathe, dammit! Breathe!" she sobbed, her pushes on Lux's chest becoming weaker and weaker. "Breathe..."

You have to wake up. Please, do it for me. I never told you I loved you.

"You're a monster," she spat, turning to face the leader of the Separatists as he rose to his feet.

Dooku didn't reply. Instead, he brushed his cape back out behind him and took a dignified step out from behind the marble conference table. With a subtle nod of his head, a complement of six commando droids formed up around him.

Ahsoka didn't look up as Dooku set off across the hall, his work here finished. She could only look at Lux's lifeless face and struggle to hold back more tears.

Then, she reached down and pressed the softest of kisses to his lips. She didn't care if Dooku saw – she had nothing left to lose.

But then, as her lips were pressed to his, a tiny thump-thump surged through the contact between them to echo around in her lekku. It was so weak it was barely audible, but it was still loud enough to put it beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was there.

Lux's heart had started beating again.

Ahsoka pulled away, touching her fingers to her lips. Then, the pieces fell into place. The little bit of the antidote on her lips from her glass was working its magic on him. By breathing into his lungs and even merely from the contact between them, she had been unwittingly introducing it into his system.

Although the same had to be happening to her with the lectrosterine protein, she couldn't worry about that now. She had ingested but a small amount, and it would take far more to do the same damage to her that it had done to Lux.

Her tears forgotten, she scanned the floor around her. Her gaze soon zeroed in on her fallen glass. Although it was broken almost beyond repair, a concave piece of the fine crystal still held enough for a small sip.

Ahsoka scrambled towards it, but, suddenly, the heavy door that led out of the Throne Room and into the hallway burst inward with a crash. Clone troopers poured through the opening like water from an open floodgate, and the air was filled with the sound of blaster fire.

A tiny smile colored her lips as two figures, each wielding a blue lightsaber, rushed through the thick of the battle to engage Dooku.

Ahsoka winced as a blast shot past her hand, but regardless crawled obstinately forward. She picked up the tiny remnant of the antidote with as much care as she could possibly manage and shuffled back towards Lux.

Propping him up in her lap, she pulled his jaw down and tipped the precious thimbleful of wine into his mouth. Her gaze fluttered from one end of his body to the other, searching anxiously for a sign that her efforts hadn't been in vain.

Then, Lux inhaled deeply, coughed it out, and inhaled again. Ahsoka felt fresh tears prickle in the corners of her eyes, and she pressed a kiss to Lux's forehead, holding his unconscious – unconscious, she reminded herself gleefully, not dead – form close.

Lux's breathing steadied and slowed to the peaceful rhythm of one who is in a deep sleep, and Ahsoka knew that, for now at least, he was going to be okay.

*Thanks to Ahsoka's quick thinking and a stroke of good fortune, Lux is out of immediate danger from the poison in his system. But there are yet some loose ends untied and some plot holes unfilled. What new dangers could be in store for Ahsoka and Lux? There is more to Lux being poisoned than there may first appear, and the time will soon come for new details to rise to the surface...

But for now, enjoy the fact that Luxsoka is alive.

MWUHAHAHAHAH

I DID IT

I GOT AWAY WITH WRITING TRUE LOVE'S KISS INTO A STORY AND GAVE IT SCIENTIFIC BACKING SO IT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE

AHSOKA'S CPR AND EVENTUALLY KISS WAS WHAT KICKSTARTED THE HEALING PROCESS

I FEEL LIKE AN EVIL MASTERMIND

On another note, MERRY CHRISTMAS/SECOND DAY OF HANUKAH GUYS!!!! This is likely to be my last present to you on the day of and night before, but I really left this story on a cliffhanger and today, on this day of days, I felt like resolving it :D

I'm thinking there will be maybe four or five more chapters to this book, plus an epilogue. Now that I'm on break, if all goes well, I'll be finished writing the book by the end of the week! I'M SO EXCITED!!!

I might be able to squeeze in another update for something tonight (not one of the long ones like HWOF or SOTE though, sorry - if anything it'll be another update for this or one for UAAT, because I'm like four chapters behind), but then again, I might not. I only really had time to write this up because my family has practically passed out from the sheer amount of food they all ate and aren't yet up to watching more Christmas movies.

I, meanwhile, didn't go crazy because I wanted to save space for dessert, so therefore I'm not suffering from an overstuffed stomach XD

So about that update, we'll just have to wait and see ;)

Bye guys!