32.

Miles Carter

"How are you feeling?" I asked Ava as I held onto her fragile hand. She was nothing but bones right now. Her skin now dull and lacking the vibrant color it used to be. She looked terrible and I could do nothing but wait.

"I'm fine I guess. I f-feel t-tired." She shivered as she spoke.

"Hold on lemme ask for more blankets. Chase come sit right here until I get back."

"Okay." He said and took a seat. I left in search of the nearest nurse on duty. "Aye excuse me miss!"

"Yes?" She asked turning around and rushing towards me.

"Could I get more blankets for the patient in the presidential room please."

"Oh sure." She said and walked away. I sighed and went back to tending to Ava. When I got back in there, her and Chase were in the middle of praying.

"-And lay me down to rest. Watch over me and take care of me and continue to bless me. In Jesus name we pray amen..." They sang in unison.

I swear I wanted to cry then. You guys don't know how it feels honestly. If I could I would take her sickness away with the quickness but I can't and it hurts to see her hurting. To see them sticking her with needles some days and trying to force feed her on others, it makes me sick and that's why I don't come on the regular.

The nurse came rushing into the room with two thick furry blankets and spread them over Ava.

"Here ya go, do you need anything else ma'am?"

"Could I get some water please?" Ava said with a shaky voice.

"Sure I'll be right back." We watched as she walked off before I spoke.

"So um I talked to your mom...She's coming to see you soon... And Charlie said she'd try to come next weekend."

"Okay. I look forward to it." She smiled. "Thank you so much Miles for everything you've done for me I honestly don't know how to repay you."

"Don't. To see you getting top of the line treatment, that's all that matters. All I want from you is to get better. You have. To get. Better."

She turned her head away and started to cry. The tears rolled down her sunken cheek bones and dripped onto the grey scarf that was tied around her neck.

"Mommy don't cry." Chase whined as he held onto her hand.

"Baby it's okay...I'm getting a little sleepy so if you guys can just come back tomorrow that would be nice."

"No I'm not ready to leave!" Chase said while jumping out of his seat.

"It's time to go Chase mommy is tired. We can come back tomorrow."

"No! Mama please I wanna stay with you!"

"Baby it's okay just go with your dad and do what he says, you can always come back tomorrow to see me." She smiled, her cheek bones looking like small apples.

"Please just let me stay the night I miss you I miss us I don't wanna be with dad! I want you back please mama!" He cried as he tightened his grip on her hand.