Rachel nodded, accepting Alice's reassurance. It wasn't as if she had much of a choice after all.

    "Come on then," the old woman said, walking to the door and grabbing Rachel's jacket from the hook on which it hung. "Let's get going."

--------

Rachel could see the anxiety on the faces of the women as they walked into the hall. The old woman ignored them as she removed her coat, as well as Rachel's, hung them on pegs by the door, and crossed the length of the room to sink into a large chair by the fire. Rachel stood awkwardly in the center of the hall trying to take in her surroundings, uncertain if she should follow Alice to her seat. But as few of the women shot her nasty glares she quickly moved to join the older woman. The others gave her space, avoiding her like a leper.

    "Come, Rachel," Alice said no doubt seeing her discomfort. "Pull up a stool and sit next to me."

    Rachel quickly obeyed, taking the small stool Alice had indicated and pulling it as close to the older woman's chair as possible. She could feel the vibe of hostility and distrust only intensify at the action, but she was glad to have Alice's protection. It seemed clear that all the others were afraid of her and as long as she reminded by Alice's side they wouldn't hurt her.

    "What did he say, Alice?" One of the women finally asked, breaking the awkward silence in the room. Rachel could hear the fear in her voice.

    "He didn't say anything Sarah," the old woman said, warming her hands by the flames of the fire.

    Sarah cast a nervous glance in Rachel's direction. "But the girl," she protested.

    "Ah yes, the girl," Alice answered, turning to place a hand on Rachel's shoulder and addressing the room. "Everyone, this is Rachel, the newest member of our flock. She arrived late yesterday, as I'm certain you all know now. I expect you will all make her feel very welcome here."

    "He truly has said nothing?" Sarah asked again, ignoring Alice's words.

    "If there was anything I had to share I would do so," Alice replied calmly.

    Even Rachel could hear the evasiveness of her answer.

    "We all know who will die."

    Rachel turned at the sound of a new voice. The girl was pretty, her chestnut brown hair pulled back in a soft bun highlighting her long elegant neck. Rachel realized she'd seen her earlier by the slave quarters. Her face was solemn.

    "I am the oldest among all of you. I've been here for too long."

    "Judith, stop it!" Sarah said, rushing to the woman and grabbing her in a tight embrace. "Alice says we are safe for now."

    The other girls cast their eyes down at the ground but Judith only shook her head.

    "It has been months since he has taken any from us. I was always going to be first on the next list. I was only a matter of time."

    "Alice, tell her!" The younger girl insisted, shaking her head in denial. "You said we were safe."

    Rachel watched as Alice stared at Sarah, her face expressionless.

    "That is not what I said," she answered. "I told you that our Master has not yet told me anything I might share with you."

    Tears slipped down the younger woman's cheeks as she hugged her friend again.

    "No," she sobbed, continuing to shake her head. "There must be something we can do. We can get rid of that thing."

    Rachel shivered as the woman pointed an accusatory finger her. Was it true? Would Sarah's friend die? Was it Rachel's own fault?