The old woman eyed him suspiciously, and he knew he had spoken too grandly. "I'm just fine, Arthur," she replied. "Where are you two off to, so handsomely dressed?"

David grabbed her hand in her own. "Doris, we are off to an art opening. I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl about it!" She clicked her wild teeth together in a grin.

"That sounds nice, dear," Doris said. "Have fun."

"Mrs. Pritchard," Art began again, this time without the false enthusiasm. "We would love to have you up for dessert soon," he said without presumption.

Doris nudged him with her elbow. "It's about time," she smirked. "I would love that. Just name the day."

"Tomorrow!" exclaimed David.

"Tomorrow?" questioned Art.

"Tomorrow," answered Doris. "I will see you then."

"We'll see you then?" asked Art.

"We will see you then," David answered. "Cheers." She waved a good-bye and walked out the front door, Art following close behind.

When they arrived on the street, David nudged him. "It's about time, you sot," she barked at him.

"What do you mean by that?" he questioned defensively.

"Just what she meant," she responded. "That it is about time after all these years of small talk that you would do the gentlemanly thing and invite her up for dessert. That was a lovely idea, and can't you see she is thrilled?"

Art smiled smugly. "She is, isn't she?"

"Get that smug smile off your face," said David. "You should have done this years ago. What stopped you?"

"I didn't know you years ago," he said. "I wasn't like this years ago. Hell, I wasn't like this weeks ago."

David looked him up and down. "That is true," she remarked. "It's a good thing I got to you when I did."

Art rubbed the back of his neck with his hand and reflected. He took a deep breath of gratitude and let it out slowly. He opened his mouth to begin a soliloquy. "You have no idea how-"

"-Come on," David interrupted. "Time's a wasting."

***

The energy from the gallery opening poured onto the street, down the block. You could feel the electricity pulsating under your feet on the walk, intensifying the closer you came to Galaxy. Neither David nor Art expected it to be such a popular event, and were surprised by the multitudes of people. Art searched for Angie among the throngs until David pointed out that she would probably be outside of the throngs, herself on the lookout for them.

She stood like a rose on the edge of a wildflower garden, in red kitten heels and a knee-length little black dress with cap sleeves, her hair pulled back in a low ponytail. She had swiped a coat of bloody red lipstick across her mouth and looked that much more striking with little additional makeup. Art nearly lost his breath at the sight of her. He turned to David and cursed. "She's so beautiful!" he gasped. "And I'm just..well...me."

David put her hands on Art's shoulders and pulled him in close to her. "You are incredible, Arthur Starfire, now go get her."

"What about you? Will you be okay?"

"I'm always okay, love," she replied.

Somebody shouted her name above the street noise.

"Look, there's Jodi," David pointed. "Hi Jodi," she called loudly back, waving her skeletal arm above her head. "I will catch up with you later, Romeo." She kissed him on the cheek and went skipping through the crowd, the hem of her kimono flouncing with each step. The crowd seemed to spread on either side as she moved, like the great seas parting, then swallowed her up as she passed through.