Chapter 22

Moon

David wasted away on the sofa, her fragile body swathed inside a large, brown blanket, so large was it she was barely there at all. One would not be surprised to flip the blanket in the air and find nothing. Her hair, dull and brittle, stuck up in clumps. She smiled wanly at Art who was swallowing a multi-vitamin with a large glass of water. He set down his glass in the kitchen sink and walked over to the sofa, laying his hands gently on David's shoulders. He spoke softly. "Wish me luck."

"You'll be brilliant," said David encouragingly. "And you look brilliant, too."

Art looked down at his charcoal suit. The slim fit flattered his new physique, and gave him an added boost of confidence. "Thanks, David," he said. "Will you be okay?"

"I'm always okay," she reassured him, but her eyes said otherwise.

Art sat down next to her and draped his arm across her shoulders, pulling her close to him. She didn't relent, and allowed her body to fall into his side. "I really wish you would come," he said. "All I've done, I've done because of you. You are the only reason I am at this place in life. I really wish you would be there with me."

David shied away from his embrace. "You know I can't," she said. "I would be there if I could, but I just can't take the chance."

Art took her hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "I get it," he said, "but I still don't like it."

There was a rap on the door and Angie let herself in. She was stunning in a red sheath dress that matched her lips, her hair in a chignon. "Hi guys," she addressed them both, then to Art, "Ready for this?"

Art let go of David's hand and stood up, walking to Angie and embracing her in his arms, a quick kiss on the lips. "I'm ready as I'll ever be," he said.

"How are you, David?" Angie called to David, then quietly to Art, "How is she, better?" Art gave his shoulders a quick shrug.

David waved her fingers in a salutation.

Angie escaped Art's arms and walked to David. "You should see the billboards," she said. "He looks like a magician, or a movie star. They're amazing," she stressed. "I have a really good feeling about the turnout tonight. I've been hearing buzz about it all week."

David coaxed a smile to her lips. "That's wonderful," she said weakly. It was as if her body could disappear in a moment and dissipate into the atmosphere. If Angie believed in such nonsense, she would be fearful of that happening right now before her very eyes. Sometimes Art reached out to hold on to her, just to make sure it didn't happen. But tonight his thoughts were elsewhere.

"I'm trying to convince David to come tonight," Art said to Angie with a nod.

Angie went to work immediately. "Oh David, yes, please come tonight," she implored.

David shook her head slightly, her eyes downcast.

"Oh, come on," Angie continued. She hovered over David's figure on the sofa. "It's not too late to get dressed, fix your hair." She took a piece of David's hair in her fingers and grimaced impulsively as the coarse lock came out in a clump. She hadn't realized how much David had changed. It was startling, feeling the dead hair between her fingers. She gave a worried look to Art who returned her sentiments. She changed her demeanor and sat gently next to David. She spoke to her quietly, the way you'd speak to a child whose pet had died. "Oh, honey," she said, taking both hands in hers. "Let's get you out of this...blanket, and into something ravishing. I know you have so many amazing outfits. And we can comb your hair, and you'll feel so much better."

David's hollow eyes looked blankly at her. She took a shallow breath and sighed. "I'd rather not, if you don't mind."

"I know you had a scare, but that was ages ago," pleaded Angie. "We need to get you back out there. You can't wallow around here all the time. It's not good for you. You're so pale."

"I'm always pale," said David.

"No," said Angie. "You've always been fair, this is pallid. It's not healthy. I'm worried, Art's worried. Come with us, please."

David drew up her legs and hugged them, resting her chin on her knees. "I'm going to stay here," she said. "I'm not ready to be out there, with them."

Art intervened. He gave Angie a sympathetic smile, a thanks for trying. "It's okay, David," he said. "I understand. We just want you to feel better, back to yourself." He kissed the top of her head. "Remember, I couldn't do this without you."

"Knock 'em dead," David said sweetly. "I can't wait to hear how it goes."

Art finished packing his bag, and he and Angie left the apartment, left David trembling on the sofa, trying to gather the strength to bring a carton of milk to her lips.