Chapter 29

Jupiter

Arthur peeped through the peephole, half expecting to see Detective Schwab, the other half expecting to see David, Brixton Jones. He did not, however, expect to see Rip Shadows, shifting his weight from either foot, waiting anxiously. Arthur swung open the door.

"Hey man," said Rip, looking past Arthur into the apartment beyond. "David here?"

Arthur shook his head.

"Where is she? When will she be back?"

"Not sure."

"That's weird," said Rip.

"It is?" Arthur remained in the doorway, uncertain what was going to happen.

"Well, yeah." Rip ran his hand through his spiky, newly dyed black hair with red tips. "She's always here."

"She just stepped out," Arthur stalled, "for some milk. Not sure when she'll be back. She might go clothes shopping, too. You know, girls and their clothes. Anything I can do?" They were friends, right?

"I don't think so, man. I wanted to tell her, I guess I can tell you, too, but, the band and I, after her help, we got a real record deal this time."

"Wow! That's fantastic. For sure this time?"

"Totally legit. It was through that dude at RCA David called. Unbelievable. She really knows her shit."

"That's great news! I'll be sure to tell her." Arthur paused. "So, uh, how's your daughter?"

"She's great," Rip beamed. "Without David, wow, I don't know where we'd be. I really wish she were here. Anyway, Mindy and me are working things out. I'm moving in with her in a couple weeks."

"You're moving?" Arthur asked. The building wouldn't be the same without the thumping bass and stream of women. He'd miss that small slice of the rock star life he'd gotten to see second-hand. The building would feel awfully quiet without him.

"Think so," Rip replied. "I've got to be with my baby girl, man. Besides, with the record deal and all, I'll be able to provide for her for real for the first time. We have a tour planned for the fall, and that ought a bring in some nice cash."

"Tour?" Arthur asked. "What about groupies? What's Mindy think of that?"

"It's not like we're getting married, bro," he replied with a wink. "Anyway, I wanted to make sure I got to talk to David before things get too crazy."

"Yeah, well, sounds like things are really looking up."

"Yeah, man. I couldn't have done it without David. She's like an angel."

Arthur thought of her in the backward wings, saying to the little girl, "I am trying very hard to be a good angel." He frowned.

Rip must have noticed, as he said, "No man, she really is. You don't know what you've got here."

Arthur sighed.

"I'd hold tight to that one if I were you," the rocker said, pointing a finger at Arthur's chest "She's a keeper."

"Yeah," Arthur said quietly. "Yes she is."

"Well, I know she doesn't do the phone, so have her come see me when she gets back. Or call me and I'll come over."

"Will do."

"See ya, man."

"See ya."