Chapter Nine

Draco was in hell. He couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. All he could think about was his wife and child hiding away at someone else's home. The house felt empty without Hermione's warmth to fill it. It felt empty without hearing her laugh echo off the walls when he walked in after a long day. Every inch of the house reminded Draco of his pregnant wife.

It's been almost 3 weeks and there was still no word from Hermione. Draco had turned it down on the gifts, such as the chocolate and flowers, and in their place sent baby things. A book on what she should expect when she's pregnant. A stuffed otter toy. Gender neutral baby clothes. He even sent her an antique rattle he found in a shop in town.

Since Hermione left him, Draco had called out of work saying he needed to take a personal leave. He needed to win his wife back and going to work wouldn't accomplish that. So he spent his time, building a nursery for Hermione.

In the spare bedroom closest to the master bedroom, Draco had cleared out all the furniture and had filled it with boxes of new baby furniture. The rocking chair from his mother sat by the window covered in plastic while Draco repainted the walks a soft grey. If Hermione wanted to change it, when they found out the gender of the baby, he would gladly do it.

His hands and clothes were smeared in paint when the home phone rang. At the shrilling sound, Draco dropped what he was doing and bolted to the phone with the hope it was Hermione. Snatching it up, Draco answered panting, "hello?"

***
"Draco, its me." Hermione said softly into the receiver while she sat on the bed wrapped in the blanket. Over the phone she could hear his breath catch. She knew it was surprising for her to be calling after so long. But she missed him.

"Hermione..." he said in disbelief, "hi love." He finally decided on.

Hearing the endearment made her heart ache and melt at the same time. Was it possible to  love someone and want nothing to do with them at the same time? But did she truly want nothing to do with him?

When she first met Draco, Hermione hated him with all her heart. She had never hated anyone until she met spoiled and pigheaded Draco Malloy. Any time they were around each other they would bicker and fight. Ugly words were always exchanged and for a long time Hermione couldn't even stand the sight of him. But everything changed one snowy night during sixth year.

Mistakenly, during a masquerade ball Hermione ended up in Draco's arms on the dance floor. Hiding behind the mystery of the mask, they were both free to be theirselves and before Hermione knew it, she was falling for the real Draco. The one hidden behind the money and iconic name. She learned the truth of the horrors Draco faced when no one was looking. No one bothered to look for the real Draco. They only wanted something from him.

After many challenges and struggles that threatened to break them up, Draco and Hermione found their way to each other.

"Hermione?...are you still there? Did you hang up?" The hurt in his voice almost made her heart break all over again. He may have made some mistakes, but she still loved him.

"No, I'm still here." Hermione said softly, tracing her fingers over her growing belly. Her morning sickness had subsided for the time being. There was a soft exhale of relief on the other end of the line.

"H-how are you? I'm surprised you called-is everything alright?" Draco demands suddenly, worry thick in his tone. "Are you and the baby alright?" His breathing had picked up and Hermione knew he was worried. Ever since he saw her lying on the floor of the Malloy manor, It left Draco prone to panic where Hermione was involved.