Chapter 17

Press...Press...Press..

I kept a rhythm of pressing his chest on his heart, while tears were dropping on his already wet body.

"Rue call 911!" I screamed at her which almost made her fall in the pool. She was too shocked to move until I yelled in her face.

She sprinted inside. I didn't know why she went for the kitchen phone while she had a cell phone but I wasn't gonna judge.

"Wake up" I cried. "Please"

I really wished that cries and pleas would help. They don't heal a sick person and they don't bring back the dead. They only help us get over things but they don't help others. So I cried silently, but my heart was fighting its own battle with internal crying.

Rue came back shortly after and I noticed she was crying too.

Press...Press...Press...

He just wasn't reacting at all.

Until he coughed and took in a heavy breath.

"Evan" He choked. And that was it. He was out cold again, and his eyes were squeezed in so much pain I could feel all his face strain against his brain.

I was able to hear the sirens of the ambulance getting closer.

<><><><><>

"On three"

"Alright. One, two, three" and they lifted him onto a gurney.

I wanted to get in the back with him but the paramedics prevented me. I fell to my knees on the side of the road, as the ambulance got smaller and smaller as it drove away.

"What do we do?" I asked a rushing Rue. For the first time today, I noticed that her hair was—what the fuck was that color?

"Come on get up" She ran towards a car that I didn't even see was parked.

She got in quickly, me following into the passenger seat. She pulled out swiftly and revved the engines as the car took off heading towards the hospital.

We were the almost promptly.

"I'm looking for Isaac Grayson" I told the lady at the counter. After looking twice, I wasn't sure that it was a lady. I didn't care at that moment.

"He was just transferred to the Intensive Care Unit. Visitors aren't allowed there"

I was going to argue that I was technically family because mom was officially married to Liam on paper, so technically I was a Grayson too. I didn't need to argue.

"It's okay they're with me" Liam beckoned us to follow him as he went straight to the elevators, Rue and I on his heels.

"Do you know what happened to him?" I asked Liam. I noticed my voice was cracking even though I tried as much as I could not to sound like I was crying. I was partially scared of Liam too. He hadn't said anything about the "Incident" of Zac and I kissing (And doing other stuff but he doesn't know. I hope). It wasn't a proper way to know your son is gay through finding out that he was making out with your wife's son. Your stepson.

"I know," Liam said "to a certain extent at least" He was ridiculously calm for a person whose son is in the ICU. It infuriated me. Did he not care at all??

"What's that supposed to mean? And how can you be so calm about this??" I may have said the last part a little too loudly.

"Lower your voice you're in a hospital" He said, not even looking at me at all. Now that I noticed, he didn't look me in the face, not even once. My guess was that he IS actually mad about the whole incident. "If I can't stay calm in times like these, then I wouldn't have been a neurologist. It takes time, patience, and precision to work with a human being's nerves, and it requires you to reach your inner calmness" he was all professional talks and shit.