Chapter 5.

*****

I dialled my Paps number again but did not lift the phone to my ear, instead watching as it rang for a while before it went to voicemail causing my frown to deepen. I had the feeling he was purposely ignoring my calls, and Sean was doing the same. They really never took anything seriously. It was so frustrating. I needed an update on what was happening back home.

Sighing, I let my head fall back so I was staring at the roof of Karabo's office. I had been in there for the past fifteen minutes. After exploring and watching a bit of TV, my friends and I had eaten lunch before they decided to take a walk and have a look around the Letsela pack grounds. At the time, I opted not to go along citing that I needed to check-in with the Alpha and Beta we had left in charge.

I swung around in the chair while deciding to text my younger brother Danté to ask him how the pack was doing, because I knew my Dad would be on Paps and Sean's side and probably not answer his phone either. I ignored the door when it opened, continuing to spin while typing.

"How old are you?" Karabo's chuckling voice came from across the room.

"It depends on when you ask." My reply made him laugh. I smiled as I stopped turning and we both looked at each other with crooked, awkward smiles.

"Sorry." We spoke in unison and his smile grew into a more genuine one.

"Did you have lunch?" I nodded leaning my head back to stare at the ceiling above me again.

"Uh-huh. Did you?" I asked.

"No. Let's go." My eyes moved from the roof to look back at my mate. He had changed from the suit he wore earlier into soccer pants, sneakers and a t-shirt. He looked like he was about to go for a jog...

"I thought you had work."

"I did." I sat up straight leaning my arms on either side of the chair and he watched me from where he stood in the doorway.

"I'm not trying to be rude, but what work does a pack like yours have?" I asked. "Pack finances and stuff can be done in a couple of days," I added.

"Well, right now, some pack wants our land and since I'm not willing to sell any of it, they gave us an option to merge or fight." My brows rose and he noticed, "I've got it handled."

"We have a pretty strong army. Need help?" I asked.

"We don't need your army. We might not always be fighting, but we're always ready."

"I just offered some help." I said.

"I don't need your help." He replied, his voice edging slightly towards anger.

"Well, I think you might have to – wait. Stop." I cut myself off realising where I was headed, "I'm sorry." We sighed and fell silent.

"Can we... not talk about pack related stuff?" He asked.

"Definitely." I got up and walked over to him. "So, what are we doing, Mate?" I leaned close to him to see his reaction and he just turned and left the room making his way down the hall. That was amusing.

"Getting lunch for me." He replied. I chuckled as I followed him.

We walked from the house into his garage and I frowned at one of the two cars.

"You fit in that?" I was referring to the purple Mini Cooper.

"Anyone can fit in it." He shot me a look, "It's my moms."

"Why is it here – she lives with you?" I had come across a room with female clothing in the closet when I was exploring. Of course, I had been really curious about it, especially because of what he had said when we met, but I hadn't asked about it because I didn't want to seem jealous or anything.