Chapter XX: Carnival

Start from the beginning

"Not recent but I don't trust you." He muttered, releasing your arms and throwing open the drawer.

"No don't!" You reached out to stop him, but Vanitas shoved you to your bed so you couldn't stop him. You panted heavily and with shaky hands you reached out for him again as he lifted the money from the drawer.

"Why the hell do you have so much money...?" He asked, holding it up for you to see.

"I..." You trailed off, letting out a sigh as you tried to calm down your pounding heart. "It was suppose to be a surprise..."

Vanitas saw the letter and began to read it. That's when he frowned and slowly placed it back inside the drawer and closed it. "I'm sorry I was just..." He didn't look at you as he turned his back in your direction. "I'll act like I didn't see that."

Without another word he left your room. You heard him slam his own door shut and you looked down at the floor. You felt bad because it seemed that you made him upset. He scared you when he shoved you because of course it reminded you of awful things, but he was just concerned and he just wanted to help. You decided not to bother him, and you waited for everyone to show up.

When 3:30 rolled around, you and Sora were sitting on the couch and he was trying to tickle you and make you laugh. The two of you were waiting for everyone to show up... and also waited for Vanitas to come out of his room. By 3:40 he was coming down the stairs, dressed with black pants and a white t shirt with a black jacket overtop. His hair was finally in order and he seemed a little bit happier, but when you and him made eye contact, he gave you an apologetic stare before walking into the kitchen to get a glass of water.

Time passed quickly and everyone started showing up a few minutes early. Before long everyone was there, chattering away.

"So what are we doing?" Roxas asked.

You didn't want to yell to get everyone's attention, but you waved your arms frantically and your friends noticed and became quiet. You were kind of nervous by all the attention, but you sucked it up and looked at them.

"This was a surprise for you guys..." You began. "Ever since I've come here, all of you have been so nice and kind to me. So I wanted to pay you all back. Zack was kind enough to pay for everyone, but we're gonna go to the carnival!"

Kairi and Namine squealed with delight and held each other's hand. "Oh my god really?!" Kairi exclaimed. "That's so awesome of Zack wow!"

"This was your idea, {Y/N}?" Ventus asked you. You nodded your head.

You pulled the money from your pocket. "Um... I don't know how much it is per person but Zack gave me this."

Riku took the money from your hand and pulled out eight dollars. "It's 8 per person." He informed you as he began to hand the money out.

"Let's go let's go!" Sora dashed for the door and left everyone else to catch up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The carnival was set up just outside of town, so it wouldn't be in the way of anything or anyone's business. It took a good amount of time to walk there since you lived more in the middle of town and towards the opposite of where the carnival was. However you didn't mind much because the walk was nice, for all of your friends were so excited and were chattering away, planning on what they were going to do.

"We're going on the ferriswheel at night." Kairi stated. "That's when all the lights are on and it's so pretty!"

"So romantic!" Axel cooed at his sister as he placed his arm over her shoulders and began to ruffle her hair. "Who's gonna be with you?"