Chapter 36 - Final

Pete's POV

Patrick and I were in the hotel room. It was late at night. Brendon was in his own room. We haven't yet told anyone else that Patrick is back, because we haven't come up with an official story. We could just figure it out for tomorrow.

Patrick was taking a shower, and I set out some of my sweats and a t-shirt for him to wear. The Fall Out Boy sweatshirt was dirty, and there were little flecks of blood on it. I tried to ignore that as I stuffed it into my duffel bag.

"Pete?" Patrick spoke from the doorway into the bathroom. I hadn't realized that the shower had stopped. "Are you okay?" His voice was quiet. He had changed into my clothes, and his hair was still wet.

I bit my lip and wondered which question I should ask first.

"W-were you really going to shoot me?" Patrick's eyes widened, and he shook his head.

"Gosh, no! I had planned to shoot the rope the minute I figured out what was going on!" Patrick took a few steps towards me, but I still didn't move.

"What if you did? There wasn't a lot of space between the rope and my arm." Patrick frowned.

"I have good aim, and the knot part of the rope was on the side. It was the only option I could think of." Patrick took another step towards me. "Do you really think I would shoot you?"

"I don't know anymore." That stopped Patrick. "You and Lukas... You guys were dating, weren't you?"

"Yes." Patrick said the word simply. "We were dating, and I thought that I was going to spend the rest of my life with him. Then, he was killed." His face turned stony. "His last words to be were 'Let's be alone together, babe.' That is what he said to me before he died."

I bit my lip harder, wondering if I would draw blood.

"I am sorry." I said. Patrick shrugged. "Do you still love him?" Patrick looked up at me in surprise.

"Yes. I will always love him. But not in the same way. I love someone else more than I loved him, though."

I didn't know how to feel.

Patrick walked closer to me, until our toes touched.

"Since we got interrupted earlier, I would like to tell you something." Patrick leaned into me, and wove his fingers with mine. "Pete, I love you."

I didn't need words.

I leaned down and kissed him. I kissed him gently and hard at the same time, letting him know how much I missed him, how much I loved him.

We were chest to chest, lip to lip.

When we pulled away, I looked him in the eyes. "Patrick, I love you too."

the
end