"Then I am glad." She carefully replies. Still he does not leave. "Gavriel?"

"There are many people within the receiving hall. They wish to speak with to you. It is time you see the responsibilities of being leader. You may find it occupies so much of your time that you never see your husband but I shall let you see that for yourself." He bows sharply before walking away.

Zara frowns before rushing inside and through to the room he mentioned. It is filled to the brim with people and she scans the room. Her heart stutters nervously in her chest. Her father is nowhere in sight. She has to deal with all of their problems on her own. She gulps and places a pleasant smile on her face before taking her seat on the platform raising her before the people. She nods at the servants stood to the side of her and they beckon the first person forward.

One by one they tell her their problems, a never ending stream of difficulties. Zara makes promises and disappoints others. The hours drag on and tiredness sets in but there are still many to see. She does not know that Gavriel has paid them all to come and give her a hard time. This is just the first step in his plan to wear her down. She will either choose Logan or she will choose her position. If she chooses Logan then she must step down and he will have won. If she does not she will be left alone and he can wear her down further.

Gavriel grins as he drops coins in another grubby outstretched palm and they walk into the room to join the crowd of people already waiting.

○ ○ ○

"What are you doing here?" Hunter jumps to his feet as soon as he sees Orion. Sitting down makes him feel at a disadvantage with his freakishly similar acquaintance. His eyes travel to the young man who follows Orion, fear visible in his every movement. Hunter sighs and stares down Orion who smirks.

"I told you I would bring you proof, evidence, whatever you wish to call it. This man is a witness to Jasiel's murder." Orion beckons the man further into the little room. He does so, his throat bobbing as he swallows anxiously. Hunter rolls his eyes and crosses his arms across his chest. He scans the man from head to foot. The man nervously shifts. Hunter lets out a bark of laughter.

"Try again and perhaps do not bring someone who could have been paid to say whatever you wish." Hunter says, his tone of voice echoing ultimate boredom.

Orion takes a seat and shrugs his shoulders. "So you do not wish to hear what the man has to say?"

Hunter shakes his head in disbelief that Orion could possibly think he would.

"What about if I told you that I do not work for Lord Gethin?" Orion grins and Hunter frowns, suspicious instantly. "The truth is altogether different. Gethin may believe he sent for me and that I am loyal to him and him alone." Orion chuckles. "He would never believe that someone is better at manipulation better than he. I work for someone else who is intrigued in how this plays out. Gethin was just useful to get in and out of the manor; he also came with plenty of information."

"Who do you work for?"

"That is irrelevant, at least for the time being." Orion quirks up an eyebrow. "Try again, boy, and make this one interesting."

"Are you interested in the truth or just a solution?" Hunter slowly asks, his gaze pinning down his doppelganger.

"The truth, my employer will accept nothing less. If the murderer was Gethin, I will declare it to the world. The same applies to whoever else is guilty of the crime. I have no loyalties here. My word is true."

"And this man... you just happened to find someone who saw the murder so many months ago. Amazing how he has just now decided to come forward with your persuasion." Hunter sarcastically drawls.

"He committed a crime and was afraid. He knew speaking out about the Ricells would ensure his death for his petty little crime. He chose to remain silent but the guilt has slowly crept in and captured his heart and mind. He can no longer allow Jasiel's death to go unpunished." Orion nods at the man, his face becoming sombre.

"What crime did you commit?" Hunter directs the question to the young man quaking in his boots.

"I hit a man over the head with a fallen tree branch." He drops his head down in disgust at his actions. Hunter keeps his face straight, knowing that Orion is studying his reactions. "He was well dressed and I thought he may have possessions of worth. I stole some coins from him and some of the clothes. My family is poor and we were living off scraps and rags." The man's voice shakes.

"Continue." Hunter prompts. Orion smiles.

"Then I heard yelling and shouting. I was curious so I hid the coins and I crept up to see. Jasiel was standing with the horses and he seemed furious. He kept telling Gethin that he was a fool. They were shouting insults at one another and getting more and more aggravated. They did not lay a hand on each other though. Jasiel simply told him to leave and cool down. He told him that he was uninterested in how he felt and he should keep it to himself. Gethin left."

"Did he come back?" Hunter asks, finding the story is taking far too long to be told.

"No. He did not. Gethin was not the one who murdered Jasiel." The man lifts his head. His eyes are a weak blue and Hunter stops himself from asking who. He suddenly feels as if he does not wish to know the answer. Orion had entered surprisingly happy with the answer. Could that mean it was Logan? So far the events have made sense with what Logan told him. No one else had overheard that conversation. No one else could know that Logan had been hit over the head.

"Gavriel came soon after and enquired over the arguing. He had heard it from where he had collected water. Jasiel did not answer him and instead stalked off. Gavriel followed him and so did I. They never saw me. Gavriel brought up the Usani and Jasiel snapped. He looped the horses' reins over a tree branch and swung round to face his brother. It all happened so fast but I blinked and there was a blade held at Gavriel's neck. Jasiel told him in no uncertain terms that if he mentioned his distaste of his sister's betrothal again he would not hesitate to poison their father against him."

The man pauses and glances at Orion. Hunter grinds his teeth and spits out, "What is it?"

"He promised me that I would be free to go when I told my story."

Orion nods quickly, "And I meant it. No harm will come to you. My employer holds far more power than the Ricells do. You have his pardon."

This seems to placate the man and Hunter impatiently stamps his foot. The man's gaze flickers to him and he takes a deep breath. "Gavriel backed down, apologised. Jasiel seemed to calm down. He held out the blade to his brother, it appears it was Gavriel's all along. Gavriel took it and bowed to his brother. He then walked away." The man licks his lips, still a little anxious of telling the end of what he saw. "Jasiel seemed annoyed at himself and he went after his brother..."

Love And Honour (Book 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara