Chapter XL

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

One week later

They see them in the distance riding towards them and Logan spurs his horse faster forward so he can meet them quicker. Hunter hangs back as Wolfe embraces Logan the moment they have both dismounted, then as Sparrow tightly hugs Logan before pulling away to check that he looks well. The three of them confer between themselves, catching up on everything they have missed in the months apart. Wolfe watches his brother seriously, some guilt in his eyes. Sparrow continues speaking; stopping only to allow Logan to reply which he does with humour on his lips.

Hunter melts backwards, causing more and more distance to grow between himself and his family. They do not notice his absence, not then and there. Wolfe and Sparrow are far too focused on Logan, as they should be. A horse and its rider pull up beside him, unnoticed by the Usanis.

Orion clears his throat and Hunter glances to his side. Orion pays no attention to him but Hunter knows he is being studied. His eyes return to his brothers and his sister in law. "I knew it." Orion finally speaks and Hunter's hackles go up.

"You knew what?" He grinds out through his teeth.

"Even you know that you do not belong." His words are cold and Hunter glares straight ahead. "You stand apart when you should be amongst them celebrating." Orion further speaks. "All because you know that you do not belong. You know that you are not one of them and you never can be. You are, at the best, an embarrassment to Wolfe, at the least, vermin under their feet."

"You do not know what you speak." Hunter forces his voice into a natural tone. However the words do affect him. Never has he heard them spoken aloud, only ever has he heard them in his head. A muscle jumps in his jaw and Orion smirks having seen it.

"I know I see a family stood over there. I see them talking and caring. Then I see you," Orion looks sideways at Hunter, "alone and wishing you were a part of it. I see you separate, willingly from both sides."

"I am giving them time. I was not the one in danger of execution." Hunter tries to persuade both of them.

"You can never truly be one of them, boy. You cannot even be a Usani in name. You were a mistake and no matter what you do, it will follow you as long as you remain with them." Hunter shoulders tense beneath his jacket and his breathing slows keeping his temper in check. The words all hit their mark just as intended.

"Then what do you suggest I do?" Hunter turns to him, pushing amusement into words that otherwise would sound hollow.

"I suggest you stop trying. Stop pretending you are one of them. Stop lying to yourself and you might find out you belong somewhere else."

"I belong with my family, with my brothers." Hunter sweeps a hand out toward the small group. "Why would you think I do not?"

"I have watched you." Orion nudges his horse a little more towards him and Hunter stubbornly looks him straight in the eyes. "I have seen how you get things done; I have seen how you act and how you speak. I know that your brothers would not act how you do, they would not threaten, they would not lie to one another, and they would not make a deal with someone who hurt one of their own. They would fight to the end for one another. Can you honestly tell me that your brother Wolfe would approve of all your actions these last few months? Would he of done anything that you have done?"

Hunter hesitates to answer. A lie is on the tip of his tongue. He blinks. Wolfe would not approve of his actions. Wolfe will certainly have a lot to say. He would think that Hunter needs to be watched carefully from now on. A nuisance. An embarrassment. Hunter's throat bobs.