Fourteenth

"It's not that big of a deal." I shrugged as we walked around the mall about an hour later. "The plans were only set for like an hour. I'm sure he just found out he was busy."

"I would totally believe you, Liv, except for the fact that it's been an hour since he texted and you're still talking about it." Emma rubbed my back sympathetically. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure he doesn't have a sinister reason for cancelling."

"Yeah, I guess--"

"And I know what you're thinking." Emma interrupted. "He definitely did not cancel on you because he suddenly remembered that you were Sophia Flores. He has no idea and isn't going to stop being into you."

"Yeah I know." I grunted. "You can't blame me for being worried, though."

Emma and Patrick both nodded.

"You're right. Just don't get too worried, because you'll ruin our shopping trip. Not that Patrick hasn't been trying to ruin it already."

Patrick rolled his eyes and continued to sulk along the hallway.

"It's not my fault that I get dragged along to a bunch of girly activities for every waking moment of my life."

"Get some more masculine friends." Emma replied.

Patrick didn't seem to have an answer for her and instead continued walking in silence.

"I'm starving." I said eventually, cutting the quiet. "Do we have money for food?"

Emma and Patrick immediately burst into laughter, stopping in their tracks and clutching their sides.

"Do we have money for food?" Emma repeated, "Liv, we've never not had money for anything in our entire lives."

"Sorry, it was just a question." I rolled my eyes. "Where do you want to go? Fancy? Casual?" I eyed our outfits, "Incredibly fancy?"

Emma thought for a second before replying.

"Fancy is good. I've been craving a good steak for a while now."

"How about Dinoto?" Patrick suggested, "It's within walking distance from the mall anyways."

Emma and I nodded.

"Sounds good! Let's go."

***

We walked into Dinoto and one of us was recognized immediately by the hostess.

"Welcome to Dinoto's! Your regular table, Mr. Ward?"

Patrick nodded.

"Thank you Ashley." He ignored the strange looks that Emma and I were giving him as she checked a few boxes on the paper in front of her and looked up with a smile.

"Follow me!"

We followed her to a table in the center of the main dining room, where everyone could see us and we could see everyone. We sat down quickly as "Ashley" set our menus in front of us.

"Thank you." Patrick repeated as we settled into our seats. Ashley nodded and then left.

"What was that?" Emma spoke first, "Regular table? Thank you Ashley? Who was that chick?"

Patrick shrugged.

"This is my usual first date restaurant. Not too fancy but not too casual. Just--"

"Right." Emma finished for him. "Just right. We get it. This is where you woo your hunnies."

"My hunnies?" Patrick repeated, "Far from it. You know my parents force me to go on dates with girls who they think would be suitable matches for me. It's not my fault that I just don't find any of them interesting."