Fourth

"Olivia! Come downstairs!"

I opened my eyes against the sun shining through my window and rolled over in bed. My alarm clock read 10:37, and I groaned audibly.

"Mom, it's my last day of summer vacation, and you woke me up before noon?" I shouted back. I heard my mom chuckling from downstairs and I pulled my blankets higher over my head.

"It's not that big of a deal, sweetheart." She called back. "I just wanted you to come eat breakfast with the rest of the family. You've hardly left your room since we returned from the accident."

Well, maybe it took a toll on me. I thought sarcastically; she acted as though getting into a car wreck wasn't a traumatizing experience. I guess for me, it wasn't awful, because I blacked out pretty quickly and recovered even quicker, but at the same time, I couldn't be expected to be up and at it again within a few days.

I rolled out of bed and stomped down the stairs, not really paying attention to the fact that I was probably shaking the entire house. My eyes widened when I reached the landing and I immediately ran back upstairs, sprinting until I was safely back in my room with the door locked. I grabbed my phone and typed out a quick message to my mom.

I rolled over in my bed and let my heart rate calm down before I heard my phone ding with a response and my mom's voice could be heard downstairs: "Olivia just got a bad headache and won't be coming down for breakfast

I rolled over in my bed and let my heart rate calm down before I heard my phone ding with a response and my mom's voice could be heard downstairs: "Olivia just got a bad headache and won't be coming down for breakfast." Her words were met with sympathetic sighs and whispers from a crowd that seemed to contain many more people than just my parents and sister.

" Her words were met with sympathetic sighs and whispers from a crowd that seemed to contain many more people than just my parents and sister

Of course the Carter's were over for breakfast. What else in my life could go so horribly wrong? It was getting to the point where I could barely exit my own room without being worried of being seen and confronted.

I waited on my bed, eyes closed, trying to fall back asleep. My window was open and the curtains were as well, and a breeze floated through the room. I found myself drifting off, dozing in and out of sleep as the voices downstairs chatted and laughed together. I dreamed of a summer long before this one, and of a time long before I had any worries in the world.