Twenty-Fifth

"Now, I want you to hear me out before you say anything." Sophia said, sitting down on my bed after closing the bedroom door behind her. "Can you do that?"

I nodded.

"Sure."

"Alright." Sophia took a deep breath and then started on what I could already tell was going to be a long and drawn-out rant.

"I want you to think about everything that's happened with Lincoln Carter. And I mean everything. From the start. You and him clicked three years ago, when you were just a freshman. Do you even know how annoying freshmen are? He loved you when you were that young, no matter the fact that you lied about your age and about everything else. You can't hide a personality. He loved you for that. He loved you during your "awkward stage". He's loved you since then and he hasn't stopped.

"You put him through hell, and you know that. I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty, because I know you know it's true. You put him through hell when you left him that summer. He hasn't dated a single person besides you. He didn't understand why you left. I kept up with every tabloid and news story about him after we got back. The mystery girl had disappeared, and with it went Lincoln Carter's ability to be himself, to do something with his life, to enjoy his life. He was gone, she was gone, and there was nothing to get him back.

"But then he moved here. He found you again. Call it a coincidence, call it fate, destiny, whatever. But the point is, he found you. The real you. And even though he doesn't remember you, he knows that he found a girl who can help him forget his heartbreak from years ago. He found you, he knows you, and he knows that he can have something again. Something real, something meaningful. He was willing to have that with you, and only you, and he was ready to lay it all out on the table. But then you disappeared. Again.

"Liv, he makes you happy. He makes you happier than I've ever seen you. He made you happy all those years ago, and he makes you happy now. I can't believe that this is something you'll throw away for a second time."

"I can't do it." I whispered. "I can't tell him about who I am. I can't keep lying to him. I had to stop."

"No you didn't." Sophia shook her head, "You didn't have to stop. You could have continued to be with him, to love him and cherish him and make him a better person. This could have been it. It could have been everything you ever wanted. Don't you want to get it back before it's too late?"

I shook my head.

"I can't."

Sophia stood.

"Just think about it. Please."

I nodded silently.

She left.

And I cried.

***

I woke up the next morning, the morning of the block party, having gotten more sleep than I had thought I would get the night before. It had been pleasant, something that I had enjoyed. There was nothing wrong with my dreams, they had been calm, even nice.

Now I had to make a decision.

I made my way downstairs and made myself a nice breakfast, ignoring the pounding in my chest as I decided whether or not to make an appearance at the party that night.

I was still debating the pros and cons in my head when the decision seemed to be made for me.

"Alright, we're leaving for the block party a 6:00 sharp." My mother said as she walked into the house from her early-morning gym class. "The whole family is going because I promised Mrs. Doncan that we would be able to take our family picture for the neighborhood newsletter. Is everyone free?"

I could sense Sophia staring at me with a mixture of malicious glee and curiosity as my mother looked at the two of us for an answer.

"I'll be going, Mother." She said. "Olivia?"

I looked between my mother and my sister, unsure of what decision would make me the least hated.

"Yeah. I'll go for a little while."

"Perfect." My mother nodded and began to walk back up the stairs. "Remember, 6:00 on the dot!"

6:00 on the dot.

6:00 on the dot came incredibly quickly, and we ended up in the car and driving down to the cul de sac where all the neighborhood parties were held with incredible speed. I stepped out of the car and checked my surroundings, finding no Lincoln Carter anywhere around and saying a quick prayer of thanks.

There was mingling to be done and people to fake happiness towards, so I found Emma quickly and made the rounds with her. We found Patrick after a few minutes and walked around together, trying not to laugh at the already-drunk elderly people or the teenagers trying to look like they weren't high already. There were so many people to make fun of and so little time to do it.

"I'm glad you decided to come, Liv." Emma said after we had narrowly escaped being run over by a grandpa making a beeline for the dance floor. "It wouldn't have been fun just sticking with Patrick."

"Agreed." I laughed. "I'm glad I came, it's nice to get out of the house."

"Good!" Emma laughed. She turned to look back at Patrick, who was trailing behind us, and looked above his head. Her face paled.

"What's up?" I asked, turning to look at what she was.

"No, Liv, don't turn..." Emma trailed off, as I had already turned and saw exactly what she was looking at.

He looked great. His hair was styled perfectly, his eyes were the brightest they had been in ages, his shirt matched his shoes and he was sauntering around with his hands in the pockets of his khakis, looking like the most attractive frat boy I had ever seen in my life.

Lincoln Carter made eye contact with me immediately.

His eyes widened, his hands left his pockets, and he started walking towards us.

"Olivia."

I turned quickly, looking around me as he called my name again.

"Olivia!"

He was coming closer.

So naturally, I did the only thing a mature and responsible adult would do in my situation.

I ran.

A/N: HERE WE GO omg guys this is it. The next chapter (while not the last) is my favorite and I can't wait for you guys to read it. Last guesses on the questions of the book, so leave an inline comment letting me know your thoughts!

Does Lincoln know about his and Olivia's past?

Is Olivia going to come clean to him?

Are they going to end up together?

Let me know! Also, remember to follow @kpwattpad on Instagram for all sorts of fun quotes, posts, and updates!

-Katherine