Chapter 17: Dancing With The Devil

Start from the beginning

"Caddie listen-" before Alix could finish speaking, someone cleared their voice behind us.

Turning my head, my face visibly paled as my eyes met a pair of coal black ones. Roberto stood at the edge of the fire, the golden flames illuminated the sharp planes of his face. His unruly raven locks, were free from the bonds of his hair tie, and cascaded down his shoulders. His signature smirk sat dutifully on his lips. Somehow, he looked even more sinister in the dark. I was reminded of my restless nights as a child, hiding under my covers, because I was fully convinced that the monsters only came out at night. I knew differently now, but seeing Roberto ignited those feelings of fear inside of me again.

"Good evening ladies," he purred and took a threatening step towards me.

Alix stiffened. As if a switch had been flipped on, she went into attack mode. Crouching in front of me, a threatening hiss escaped her lips as white sparks of light erupted from her palms. Roberto merely laughed at her obvious threat and continued to walk forward. Alix made an attempt to lunge at him but he quickly stepped out of her way.

"Caddie, please call off your attack dog. I am simply here to ask if you would do me the honor of joining me in a dance?" He gave me his wide eye, innocent look that probably fooled many girls but not me.

It's hard to think of someone as innocent when they've thrown a flaming ball of black fire at your head. Behind Roberto, Alix groaned and picked herself up from the ground. She spat out a piece of grass and sent Roberto a scathing glare. As I expected, the glare didn't phase him in the least.

"Actually, we were just leaving," Alix interjected.

"Nonsense," Roberto waved her off, "You just got here."

My jaw dropped. "H-how did y-"

Roberto responded with a sweet smile, telling me exactly how he knew. What a creep, I thought as my skin crawled. He had probably been watching Alix and I make a fool out of ourselves as we danced together. The whole time, he was just watching and waiting for a chance to get me alone.

"So how about that dance," Roberto asked again, and held out his hand like a gentleman.

Afraid, of what would happen if I rejected him, I placed my hand in his. Alix casted me a dejected and heartbroken stare, it pained me to see that look on her face, especially after we had had such a good time together. I only hoped, she would give me the time to explain later. We needed to tread carefully with Roberto and if I wanted to stay alive, I needed to play as nice as possible. Squeezing my hand in his, Roberto twirled me around and lowered my body into a dramatic dip. My jaw once again found itself unhinged as he pulled me back into a standing position.

"Close your mouth, mi Amiga. You will catch flies," Roberto instructed me.

Once again, he was smirking at me. His shoulders shook as he tried to refrain from laughing. Shutting my mouth, I glared at him and let him lead me through the dance. His arm wrapped around my waist, causing my stomach to churn violently. I had to bite my lip, to keep myself from throwing up as he twirled me around like a little ballerina in a music box.

"I didn't expect that you could dance so well," I murmured.

"Ah," Roberto said as if he suddenly realized something, "You must think of me as a savage because of my powers. I learned to dance long before my studies began at Nox Haven. My father was the one who taught me all I needed to know about the language of dance, he claimed that was how he was able to capture the attention of my mother. My mother, however never confirmed that story, she doesn't like talking about my father. I think she believes it'll make her look weak."