He pulled back after a few moments and smiled, his dimples sending bullet holes through Scott's stomach. He found himself smiling back and running a hand down Mitch's arm. There wasn't much else to say so he simply nodded and turned around, continuing to walk home. 

"Oh, and Scott?" He heard Mitch call behind him, causing him to stop for a second and turn back to face the boy with his eyebrows raised. "Keep wearing the tights. Your ass looks phenomenal." He sent a perfect toothy grin his way before strapping the helmet back on and rolling back to the skate park. 

---

Five years later, Scott finds himself alone in his apartment. His six-year-old adopted daughter Millie was off at school and his divorce papers were strewn across the kitchen table. After the sixth hour of going through every single line of everything he needed to sign, he decided it was time for a break. The tall blond collapsed onto the couch, finding the TV remote and clicking it on. 

A familiar dimpled face filled the screen at the same moment his stomach hit the floor. 

"Yeah, I guess the song is about someone I had a crush on in high school. I think he thought he was too good for me or something, but I guess you live and you learn." 

"Well, maybe you'll see him in the crowd tonight!" The all-too-perky presenter grinned and released information about a concert that Scott had never even known was happening. He did the first thing that came to mind and picked up his cell phone, scrolling through his contacts and tapping away until he heard the dial tone. 

"Scotty? What's up?" The sound of Kirstie's voice smoothed some of his edges and he sat back on the couch a little more calmly. They'd stayed friends after high school and still talked from time to time but she was a little busy with her job in the past month or two, as was he with his divorce... Which he hadn't told her about. 

"The weirdest thing just happened. Do you remember Mitch Grassi from high school?" 

"Oh my god yeah I do! Esther and I have tickets for his show tonight!"

"No kidding..." He rolled his eyes. Did everyone know but him? 

"Yeah! We actually have a spare ticket if you want to come along?" 

"I'd love to! It'll be like old times. I mean it'll be the opposite of old times but it'll still be good." He chuckled and she joined in as he laughed properly for the first time in all too long. 

"Wow, we were horrible back then." She sighed after their giggling stopped and the line was silent for a few moments. 

"Yeah. I've wanted a chance to apologise for years now. Did you know he asked me out? I think saying no was one of my biggest regrets of high school. Well, second biggest. After that time at prom that we thought it'd be fun to drink all of the spiked punch and you let me tell Mr Bueller that he had a magnificent ass." They were laughing again, the blond had put his phone down on the couch on loud speaker and had his legs tucked into his chest. 

"Well, you can't regret it that much! I mean, you have a wonderful life now. Todd is a wonderful husband and you have gorgeous little Katie." 

"Oh yeah, um... Todd and I are getting a divorce text me the details about tonight I love you!" He didn't take a single breath and hung up immediately so she couldn't respond. You know, like a man. 

He spent the next hour trying to find a babysitter for Millie before his alarm went off and he went about getting ready to pick her up from school. Nice shirt, tight but not-too-tight jeans, and a nice coat and he was ready to go. No one cared if he wore sweatpants for the rest of the day, as long as he pretended that everything was fine in front of the moms. Of course, he managed to hold it together and smiled away as they all offered their fake support and soon he was driving Millie home.