№ 23. 50 Shades of Biscotti

Start from the beginning

"Yo, I'm thirsty," Emma whined.

I smirked as we got into the car and I started the ignition.

"We'll stop by where I work and get a coffee."

"Do they sell kombucha?"

I wrinkled my nose in disgust as I slowly eased out and merged with traffic. 

"If I can't pronounce it than I'm not drinking it. What the hell is kum-babka?'

"Kombucha, Cassidy. Seriously."

We argued for the next half hour over some weird live bacteria culture drink that I was convinced probably made a person shit like a mad man. But Emma swore by it, saying that the garbage gave her a cleansed and nourished body. We started to near Gary's Roast, and I noticed Emma begin to flick her phone on and off.

"Expecting a call?"

"No. Clearly I'll never be called."

"Hey, I call you all the time."

"Well, I meant from someone that has testicles, Cass."

"I can make that happen," I waggled my eyebrows at her and she slapped my hand.

"Hey! Designated driver!" I stuck out my tongue.

She shook her head and reclined against the passenger seat, "Bitch."

"Whore," I shot back.

We laughed it off and settled as I somehow managed to parallel park. If I left a scratch, too bad. Emma grabbed her bag from the back seat and I locked the tiny car, leading her up the street to the coffee shop. Surprisingly enough, the sun decided to make an appearance today, and I smiled at the warm rays until we walked in.

The shop was bustling as usual but today was my day off, and I caught sight of Nick behind the register.

"So, what sort of caffeinated crap do you want to buy me?" Emma sighed as she looked around.

"Glad to know I'm paying, " I scoffed as we made our way to the counter.

Nick punched in my employee discount and looked up, "Hi, nice to see you Cass."

"Likewise Nicholas," I scanned the menu.

I should've known it by heart but I never ordered anything for myself before.

"Do you know what you want?" I nudged Emma. 

She too had tilted her head towards the vast list of beverages above, but I paid attention to Nick, who was now gaping like a fish. He was oggling Emma as though she were a diamond; the whole goo-goo eyes and expression of a schmuck on his face. No, oh no oh no, not my friend.

My eyes widened as I caught his attention and mouthed furiously, "NO."

But he was finished and my attempts to interfere were useless. He took one look at Emma and he was a goner.

"I'll have a tall chai latte," Emma stated boredly. 

Nick continued drool, and I snapped my fingers hastily before the tip of his nose, "Close your mouth or you'll catch a fly."

Nick shot me a dirty glare and grabbed a cup to write a name, but I was smarter than him, "We're staying, so place the order for me."

I shelled a few bills and slapped them down, turning Emma quickly to pick a table before Nick could attack. I went to follow but a hand yanked a fistful of my sweater back, causing me to recoil and slam butt-first into the counter.