Fussing and Twirling

"Oh! Cally, my boy! Come give me a smooch- mmmmmm mwah!" Mrs. Romano made a big fuss over kissing and hugging her embarrassed son, and I giggled at his flushed face.

          She made her way over to me, enveloping me in a bone-crushing hug. "You must be Rosie! Aww, I've heard so much about you! Call me Ma!" She pulled away and pinched both my cheeks. "So beautiful! Cal's drawings don't do you justice."

          "Ma!" Cal gasped, his face burning a deeper shade of crimson. He scowled at her and began to pull me away before I was snatched up by three little girls.

"Rosie!" They squealed. The girls grabbed my legs and the smallest girl asked to be held.

              I asked them their names, and was introduced to the youngest, Bridget, the toddler twins, Mary and Nora, and the two boys, Malachy and Peter.

               Cal looked adorable with Malachy on his shoulders as he chatted with his mother and his fifteen year old brother Peter.

              Nora was telling me all about how much they'd wanted to visit, and how this house was closer to their cottage than Callahan's old mafia house.

             Mary pulled me into the sitting room and started to braid my hair. Nora showed me some wildflowers she'd picked and began to weave them into my locks. These girls were so darling! I could tell why Cal adored them.

             Peter looked a lot like Callahan, just smaller. He looked shyly at me, and I gave him a little smile. Then Cal set Malachy down who toddled over to me. He gave me a big hug, and whispered in that six year old voice, "My big brother likes you, I think. Don't tell him I told you."

            I giggled and then showed off my flowery braid. Mary and Nora had me twirl around a little, and amid all this joy, I can honestly say, I've never been happier.