Chapter 1- Our Ultimatum

Start from the beginning

"Serena? Are you alright?" He managed eventually.

"I think so." I mumbled as I got up and brushed myself off. The flamboyant, pink dress I wore was still untouched and there was minimal dirt on my red, sleeveless overcoat. When I looked up my eyes met with some hazel ones that were much closer than expected. My instinct was to jump back but I couldn't quite bring myself to do so. It was like my feet were glued to the spot.

I should, I needed to step back. But Ash didn't move, so neither did I. My main concern was keeping my now staggering breathing in tack.

"What are you doing here?" He tilted his head at me.

Oh crap. What was I meant to say? I couldn't tell him I was spying on him. Honestly I was surprised he hadn't figured it out already. But I knew Ash and sometimes he was as dense as a rock.

"Um...I was...coming to see if you were okay." Was about the best excuse I could come up with. It wasn't very good, pathetic even, but I was never any great at improvisation. What a loser I was to spy on him. Remind me never to listen to Bonnie again.

"Don't worry, I'm okay." He smiled, a hint of sadness in it. I loved his smile.

"Have you decided what you are going to do?" I looked down at the ground, to ashamed to make eye contact.

Ash looked back over to where he was standing before I interrupted. His eyes lingered on each member of his team who were still patiently waiting for their trainer. Pikachu jumped onto the large bat Pokemon's shoulder and settled there like it did on Ash. Hazel eyes went hard, an intensive look filled them.

"Yes" he exclaimed, turning back to me. His face was a new level of unreadable. I began to question what I heard before. Maybe Ash would leave. Slowly, I nodded, too scared to do anything els.

Quickly, Ash went back into the bushes, collecting Pikachu onto his shoulder and returning the rest to their Pokeballs.

"Come on, let's go find Clemont and Bonnie." He gestured, taking my wrist. I would have rather he intwined his fingers in mine but the simple touch was enough. My skin tingled where his hand coiled around my wrist. A small smile crept up my lips.

He lead me through the bushes and into a small park on the suburbs of Lumiose City. Trees littered the acre and flowers bloomed in every corner. There was a fresh pine smell to the place and it was all flooded with sunlight. The day was beautiful with a slight breeze that ruffled my gold locks.

Lumiose City was still recovering from the Zygarde incident but overall, everyone was overjoyed the terrible time was over. Many were still in shock. To be honest, so was I. Nothing had really hit me yet; especially not the idea of Ash leaving.

Clemont and his younger sister were perched on one of the park benches, quietly discussing something. Things had been tense between the group for the past twenty four hours. Everyone needed time to prepare for potential goodbyes. I couldn't say goodbye. I needed years to prepare myself for that. But some day I knew would have to push through it.

Oh come on Serena, you're a big girl now, you can do it. I mentally frowned at myself.

Bonnie's head perked up when she heard us approaching. She bit her lip nervously and jumped up with an uncontrollable anticipation. Clemont looked concentrated as he looked down at the bench. Ash stood in front of them, and I not far from his side. Ash studied the siblings, his eyes scanning them over and drinking them in.