p a r t 2 ; q u e e n s

Song: Killer Queen by Queen

•••••

I shoved clothes into my suitcase and tried to put last night's fight with Sirius out of my mind. I was going on a glorious week-long vacation with my friends and nothing was going to ruin it. As a birthday present, Lily invited all of our friends to Alice's summer home in southern France.

It was going to be perfect. Alice, Lily, Mary, Dorcas, and Emmaline were going to be there. I met Mary in third year, she was the only other girl in my charms class that year and it was utter hell until I started talking to Mary. I met Dorcas in fourth year when she, Lily and I were all in detention together for almost getting into a fistfight with Rodolphus Lestrange. Emmeline was a distant cousin that I've known since I was three. She, like me, wasn't exactly the favorite child in the family but she, unlike me, was still allowed to be apart of the family.

The six of us together were McGonagalls worst nightmare. After a prank in fourth year went wrong, Dorcas and I were banned from having classes together.

I continued throwing clothing into my suitcase while Sirius slept soundly on my bed. The clock on my nightstand read four thirty and I glanced out my window at the silent street. Our plane left at seven so we needed to be at the airport by five. Alice's house wasn't connected to the flu network and none of us were superb at disapperating so we settled for muggle transportation.

My suitcase was like a bottomless pit. Literally. It was enchanted so it never ran out of space. I could fit endless amounts of stuff in there. A soft knock interrupted my thoughts and Mary tiptoed into my room. "Are you almost ready?" She asked softly. I zipped up my suitcase and left the room behind Mary.

I couldn't help but smile when I caught sight of my girls waiting for me in the living room. We had a sort of reputation at Hogwarts. We were troublemakers just as much as the Marauders. The only difference between us and them was the amount of planning that our pranks took. We were McGonagall's worst nightmare. No one even came close to wreaking as much havoc as we did and no one got away with as much shit as we did. It was glorious. Teachers and students alike had affectionately named us "The Queens of Hogwarts".

Alice flashed her lopsided grin as I entered the living room and I smirked. "Are you all ready to get shit faced drunk for six nights in row?" She asked and her eyes gleamed mischievously in a way that would make Minerva McGonagall wary.

It was rare that anyone could provoke an emotion from McGonagall that even slightly resembled fear but Alice was one of the few people who could. She was a force to be reckoned with.

"Is everyone ready?" Lily asked and all of us nodded. "Wonderful, a cab is going to pick us up outside The Leaky Cauldron." We all levitated our luggage out the door and down the dark, empty streets of Diagon Alley.

We stopped using magic when we reached The Leaky Cauldron so the muggles wouldn't see us. I hauled my suitcase to the curb where our taxi was while Lily spoke to the driver. Muggle money confused me to no end so I always let Lily handle things like this. She was like the babysitter for all of us who had no idea what we were doing. The cab driver opened the trunk and we piled our suitcases in. I climbed into the back row of the cab and prepared myself for the long flight ahead of us.

•••••

We got off the plane at nine o'clock and Alice immediately threw up on the tarmac. It was disgusting. We left baggage claim as quickly as possible and an airport shuttle took us to the car we were renting. It was barely big enough for the six of us. Lily was the only one who knew how to drive so she and Alice (who was surprisingly good at navigating) sat up front. Mary and Dorcas sat in the back row and I sat in the trunk with Emmeline. Alice and Lily were belting out the words to a song on the radio. I smiled at them and Emmeline rolled her eyes but joined them.

I laughed at my normally serious cousin and I couldn't have been happier about how the week was going to go.