CHAPTER 7

At this rate, Isaac was beyond confused

At this rate, Isaac was beyond confused. He didn't know where to look - everywhere he turned there was chaos. Anxiety clung to him tightly, refusing to let him move. He could barely manage to choke out, "What's happening?"

Krysta pulled her head out of the tub, gasping for air and coughing up the water that had made its way down her throat. She took the moment to spontaneously leap onto Jaxon while he was distracted, while wrapping her small hands around his throat and pressing hard, whispering spells and curses into his ear.

It didn't take long for Jaxon to defend himself. He simply knocked her unconscious with the snap of his fingers and grinned. "Well, seeing as you and your little friends decided to rebel, it was only fair I'd make up a punishment, right?"

"Jaxon," Isaac said. "Stop this, right now. You're being too strict."

"Nonsense," Jaxon smirked. "Killing isn't strict. Think of it as me... Freeing them, perhaps. They're lucky, if anything. I mean, they've been here, for what? A million years? And come on, didn't you see the tub? You know that drowning is the only way we can get rid of them. Immortals are hard to kill, remember?"

Isaac's eyes widened. "Killing?" he repeated. He glanced at Kylie. By now, he could barely feel his heart in his chest - could barely feel the sweat beading at his forehead. He was pure adrenaline, and he couldn't think straight. None of this made any sense to him. It was as if the scene was unfolding slowly and unclearly. Everything was confusing. "You're in on this too?"

Kylie nodded, guilt swimming in her eyes.

Isaac took a step back. "No... No..."

"I'm sorry, Isaac, I just--"

Jaxon shot her a glare, which made her stop talking. He snapped his fingers once more, bringing back both Parker and Krysta. They jolted awake, clutching their heads as if they were in pain. Kylie was quick to hold Parker back. Isaac tried to make his way towards Krysta, but something stopped him. Jaxon's arm was stretched out, his palm flat as he concentrated, pinning Isaac to the wall. Isaac felt as if something large and heavy was being pressed against him, so much so that he couldn't move. He was forced to watch everything that happened next, unable to do anything about it.

Jaxon grabbed Krysta and threw her against the wall, pinning her there too.

"Stop!" Parker cried out, struggling to free himself from Kylie and the ropes wrapped around him. "She's pregnant! Please!"

Isaac and Kylie exchanged a look. No one had known about this until now. Jaxon, however, didn't seem fazed at all. He simply shrugged and said, "That's unfortunate."

Parker continued to struggle. He focused, his body heating up, fire tearing through his skin. Burning, peeling, stinging. A flame rose, setting the rope on fire. Kylie quickly let go of him, screaming as the heat brushed along her, red-hot and scorching.