CHAPTER 2

Krysta heard the plate crash onto the floor

She glanced at Parker, immediately knowing that something was wrong. Parker stood up. "I'll go see if everything's okay."

"Me too," Krysta said, getting up and following him.

Parker jogged up the staircase, Krysta trailing close behind him, hoping that everything was alright. "Isaac?" she called. "Kylie? Kylie, honey, is everything okay?"

Meanwhile, Kylie was staring blankly at Isaac's body, horrified at the mess of blood she'd made. She wanted to crawl over to him, cradle him in her arms and run her fingers through his hair. She wanted him to open his eyes, smile and tell her that he loved her. She squeezed her eyes shut and tugged at her hair, cursing under her breath. She knew it wouldn't happen. At this rate, she'd never see him smile ever again, she'd never be able to get anywhere close to him and he'd never love her.

Krysta stumbled into the room, a look of panic on her face. Kylie felt her heart race and moved out of the way. "Do something!" Kylie screamed.

Krysta didn't hesitate. She grabbed Isaac from underneath his arms and tried to lift him up, but quickly fell over. Parker took his legs. Krysta glanced at him, shooting him a look.

"Parker," she snapped.

"Hm?" he said, his eyes meeting hers.

"I love you, but don't touch him."

Parker frowned and let go of him. "Overprotective, much?"

Krysta rolled her eyes and managed to get Isaac onto his bed. She pressed her hands to his neck and applied lots of pressure. When she turned around, Kylie was gone. "Parker," she said. "Get bandages. He's bleeding out."

***

Jaxon smiled at Ruby, who kept sinking deeper and deeper into her chair. He'd heard the noises upstairs, too. He focused for a second, delivering the message to everyone but Ruby. What the hell is happening up there? he thought. 

Krysta replied first. Kylie bit Isaac, she thought, concentrating deeply on trying to get Isaac's blood to stop seeping through the bandages. She tried using her powers, but she hadn't used them in a while. Maybe she could heal him.

"I really should get going..." Ruby said. She was about to stand up before Jaxon placed his hand on hers. She froze up, looking at him, her eyes filled with fear. What he said next made her heart stop. "No, darling. I insist. Stay a little longer."

Ruby couldn't pull her hand away.

Kylie came down the stairs, her eyes bloodshot and her shoulders slumped over. She went straight to the cupboards and took out a glass, then poured some water into it. She didn't make eye-contact with Jaxon. He grinned.

"How are you doing this evening?" he teased.

Now, Kylie looked at him, her stare so cold that Ruby could feel shivers running down her spine. "I don't want to talk about it."