Prologue - Broken

Cassie feels as though she is drowning in sunlight. After so long of being constantly beaten, burned, drowned, electrocuted, and imprisoned, she no longer believes in sunlight. She no longer believes in the sensation of warmth nor hope nor does she believes she is going to be rescued. All those things were taken away by the people who took her that night, taken by the people who threw her in a cell and tortured her until she is broken.

She is broken.

"Cassie, Cassie," the walls whispers, causing Cassie to stir in her consciousness.

"Get out of my head," she mutters without opening her eyes.

"Cassie, Cassie," the whispers seem to be growing louder, "wake up, Cassie." That's strange, Cassie thinks. The walls don't usually do that nor did it make such a loud clang. This can only be one thing. They are back for another round of torture.

She feels a light tap on her bruised and battered face, "Wake up, Cassie, we have to go."

Cassie opens her good eye to find her best friend standing before her. She is busy freeing Cassie from the shackles around her wrists and ankles. "This isn't real." Cassie mutters. "Go away."

"Snap out of it, Cassie. We have to go."

Angry, Cassie balls her fists and bolts up, "Get out of my damn head!" She bellows without realizing she is free from the shackles. Her legs buckle beneath from hunger and pain.

Her best friend frowns and secures a arm around Cassie. Cassie shivers at the warmth of her touch. "No one is in your head, Cassie. I am sorry it took me so long but I am really here. Now, let's go. I only distracted them long enough to get you out. They will come back any second."

"What about Tori and Xavier?"

"Who?" Her best friend's forehead wrinkle. Confused, Cassie glances at the cells to her left but they are empty. Are they real? She wonders. Is any of this real?