Into the Woods

Title: Into the Woods

Author: mtndwells

Genre: Mystery, thriller, friendship, supernatural, horror, action. 

Summary: In the small mountain town of Presence Montana the environment remains unspoiled by the woes of the industrial world. Though things are far from perfect. Within these woods there dwells more than just nature's beauty untouched by man..

As Spring Break commences, Elias Burnett finds himself captivated by a gruesome discovery in the forest, while avoiding all thoughts of his impending 18th birthday, when he will officially inherit his family's legacy.

Rob Valens wakes in a cold sweat from a horrifying nightmare. While struggling to find the meaning of these monstrous dreams, he will be confronted with the complications of an evolving friendship.

Ray's home-life is straining her emotional sanity. Two years out of high school and still stranded in a place suspended in the past. She needs to move forward. There must be some way out..

A bloody body in the woods sparks intrigue and fear in the townsfolk, intruding on the peaceable nature of Presence. As the wall separating myth from reality begins to blur and life takes on a darker visage, who will endure, who will fall, and what terrible truths will be unearthed as they try to keep the darkness from destroying each other, and themselves?

Extract: The bed was damp with night-sweat. Rob had been plagued by dark dreams. Dragging his hands down his face he let out a deep sigh, then slid out from under the covers and pulled his terror-soaked sheets with him. A cold, grey light leaked in through the window. Winter still lingered. "..For those who smoke less than 25 cigarettes a day.." Eli read the label aloud, "..two milligrams.." His perennial blue eyes peered up at Carmen. "I'm gonna have to double that." ..."Now's not the time for us to be keeping secrets." Jonas' eyes dimmed. "Reports say.. they found a body." Eli stilled at his words. "They think it's.. human."..."You never know— it may be some kind of hybrid creature— escaped from a secret government facility.."

Mature themes as story progresses.