Chapter Seven

{Pardon my French . . . literally}

Alya Cesaire was always defensive when it came to situations regarding her best friend.

"You did what!?" her voice screeched through the phone. Although looking at her face through a screen was not the way she wanted to see Alya, Marinette was glad to talk to her again.

"We're dating," Marinette says mater-of-factly. "Is that a problem?"

"Yes, it's a problem!" Alya explodes. "What about Adrien? He's the love of your life! Admit it, Marinette, you've loved him for years. What happened to that?"

Shaking her head, she sighs. She realizes she hadn't told her about the night he broke her heart.

"Nathanaël . . . I never realized how much he cared for me. He's so sweet, and he truly loves me, Alya. His heart is so pure, and he's incredibly talented. Why didn't I see it before? Oh, right. Because I was blinded by that stuck-up imbecile."

She goes on to explain everything that happened that night, down to every last detail. When she's finished, Alya runs her hand through her hair and leans back in her chair. Although she moved to England after tenth grade, Marinette had never felt so far away from her.

"There's something you're missing, Marinette. Who else could he be in love with?"

She pauses and places her head in her hands. "Please, just give it a rest. Nathanaël is the one I care about now. I really couldn't care less about Adrien."

"Who!?"

"I don't know, Chloé? It doesn't even matter!"

"Uh huh."

"Look, Alya, I'm sorr--"

"No, girl, don't be apologizing to me," she interrupts, waving her hands in the air. "It's your life. If you choose to mess it up, I can't stop you. And I'm not mad. I'm upset that you're making this decision."

"Okay. I gotta go. Talk to you tomorrow?"

Alya smiles. "Okay. Do the right thing, Mari. You always do." The screen goes black.

A red flash darts across the room and lands next to Marinette on the desk. Tikki sits by her hand, looking up at her. "Do you feel right doing this to him?"

"To who? Adrien? What am I even doing to him?"

"Marinette." Tikki's tone grows serious. "This isn't like you."

"What am I doing that's so wrong!?" she exclaims, her voice becoming louder and agitated as hot tears sting her eyes. "Adrien doesn't love me, Tikki! He doesn't love me! I can't be that girl he does love, but, goodness, I wish I could be. I refuse to sit around and let him make me feel this way. It's time to move on!"

The kwami bows her head. "I'm sorry. It's just . . . "

"Just what!?" yells Marinette, her eyes and face a deep shade of red.

"Kwamis have a superior knowledge than humans. There are some things I just feel and I know. And deep down, Marinette, I know you and Adrien are meant to be."

She stares at her companion with narrowed bloodshot eyes. "You're keeping something from me. Why do you know that?"

Tikki fumbles over her words. "It's -- it's kwami knowledge! I can't explain it. I just know."

Marinette still doesn't entirely believe her.

Chat Noir paces the floor, obviously his first time in the Dupain-Chengs' bakery. He is wowed by every pastry and decoration and object, or maybe it's just a show.

"You gonna buy anything?"

His green eyes look up to Marinette behind the register.

"Tell me, Mademoiselle," he says quietly and almost sadly, unlike the usual Chat, "what do you recommend for a broken heart?"

Corny as he is, she is concerned by his words. "What's wrong, kitty cat?" She suddenly realizes how comfortable she is being with him. She isn't even supposed to know him personally, but that doesn't matter. He is hurting and she needs to know why.

His sad eyes lack their usual luster, and he is definitely not himself. "You're Marinette, right?"

She narrows her eyes and her heart skips a beat, filled with sudden panic. He can't know . . . .

But she is the daughter of Tom and Sabine, who are pretty popular around here. That's definitely more likely.

"Y -- yeah. And you're Chat Noir. Why are you here?"

He shrugs. "I'm hungry."

They both know that isn't the reason, but Marinette doesn't pressure him further.

"If you're feeling down, I'd suggest the strawberry shortcake. That always makes me feel better."

Chat offers a faint smile. "Two please. I'd like you to have one with me." He pauses. "It looks like you could use one too."

As difficult as things are, she would be more than happy to share a pastry with her old friend. "Okay."

She collects his money and the desserts, and pulls off her apron. Chat takes her arm and heads outside into the cold.

"Where are we going?" she asks.

"You have no place for customers to eat in the café. Come on."

Fortunately, Marinette trusts him with her life.

Snow continues to fall on the quiet street, with nothing but the sound of their shoes crunching the ice filling their ears. Nighttime had fallen over the city as fluorescent lights from businesses and restaurants illuminate the sidewalk.

"Chatòn?"

"Shh, my lady."

They reach the end of the street as the Seine River opens up before them. It is still and beautiful, reflecting the soft lights of the Notre Dame.

Chat takes a seat on the ledge overlooking the river. He gestures for her to sit next to him.

Marinette hesitates.

"This isn't a date," he laughs. "No need to worry."

She sits and takes a cake from his cold, gloved hands. The two broken teenagers bite into their pastries, trying to drown out their hurt.

"Chat," Marinette finally says. "Who are you?"

He shakes his head. "Just enjoy the moment."

"Everything in my life is falling apart. I guess you're the closest thing I have to a friend around here now. I just want to know."

"You wouldn't like me. I'm a horrible person."

"I very highly doubt that."

After a long silence, Chat Noir finishes his cake and licks the corner of his lips, just like a cat. "What's got you down, mon cherie?"

"I don't know. I shouldn't be upset. I'm dating this really awesome guy, and I think I might fall in love with him," she explains.

The cat man shakes his head. "You don't sound very convincing."

"I know I can love him. I just can't get over someone else."

"My lady, I'm sure he loves you more than you know. Who is this guy, anyway?"

His heart jumps when her lips utter his true name.

"Ah, Agreste. He probably told you we used to be close friends. He brags about that all the time. Can't blame him, I am pretty cool."

Marinette rolls her eyes. "The imbecile led me on and made me believe he loved me when he loved another girl."

Chat smirks. "Still not over her, huh?"

"What?"

"I hate to break this to you, but he was in love with Ladybug. And I guess he still is."