Chapter 6 -- Yet Another Island in the North Atlantic, 15 July 1650

so...this got dark. Like really fast.

oops...?

We see that you again desire our assistance, Captain. We are in Venice, Italy; find us in the tallest building you can see. Godspeed, and bring the entirety of your jolly new crew.

Signed,
Michael and Carissa Alvarado

"That's it?" Mitch asks in surprise as he reads the note that the Alvarados had left for him.

It was the next morning, and while Mitch had complained about a thundering headache from the hangover, he had still insisted that we go exploring the island. Well, by we, I mean me.

When Mitch had proposed that only I accompany him to investigate, K.O. had wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at me and Lindsey had flashed me a sparkling smile. Kirstin, however, decided that she wanted to come as well because she had been cooped up in the ship for days and wanted to stretch her legs. Avi, for one, hadn't been very supportive of the idea, insisting that it would be too dangerous for her. But Kirstin had claimed that the three of us would be fine and gave Avi a kiss on the cheek, which stunned him and made him melt too much to argue.

The three of us had set out on the island, Mitch grumbling most of the time and complaining about his headache. There had been a silent pact made between the other five members of the crew to not say anything to Mitch about what he had done, considering that he couldn't remember, so that made it a bit difficult to explain my flushed cheeks every time the captain mentioned his hangover, headache, or drunkenness.

Kirstin had covered for me, however, and told Mitch that I was probably coming down with a fever, which I was extremely thankful for. After she had teased me the previous night about me being thirsty for Mitch, it wasn't something I had expected her to do, but I was grateful all the same.

Mitch had led us to a cave, claiming that the place was where he had met the Alvarados last. The cave took about forty minutes to walk to, uphill, mind you, and by the time we had arrived we were panting and sweaty from the exercise. So, keeping this in mind, it's not really hard to imagine our disappointment when we walked all the way here only to discover a single note with not much information.

"The tallest building in Venice?" I read aloud. "Is that the only thing we have to go off of to find them?"

"Maybe there's something on the back," Kirstin offers, pointing to the parchment.

Mitch flips it over, and the only marking on the back is an arrow, pointing up. "Great. See, I told you these Alvarados were useless."

"I feel you. It's like they can't tell up from wrong," Kirstin says.

"Huh?" Mitch asks.

I nudge her side with my elbow, silently telling her to shut up. "Nothing. Nevermind," she says quickly. "Maybe the arrow is telling us which direction to go?"

"Where, up? Yeah, let's just fly into the fucking moon to find these no good wizards!" Mitch shouts. "Ow," he says after, nursing his head.

Kirstin rolls her eyes and shakes her head. "No, maybe it means that we should go forward."

"Into the cave?" I ask. Into the dark, hollow, most likely bat-filled cave with weird ooze dripping from the sides? Call me a coward, but I think I would rather not.

"Oh. Great idea. Make us walk for forty minutes and then send us into a cave," Mitch sneers.

"It doesn't seem like you're very determined to find this Sapphire, Captain," Kirstin says. "I mean, if you're not even willing to follow simple instructions..."