MooMcQuaid

It was a late autumn day. The air was chilly and brisk, the sun was beginning to set on the horizon—it was always my favourite time of year because the trees looked marvellous as the leave changed colours, and the sky was always painted with vibrant orange and yellow and pink and a just a little purple hues. I shut my eyes as a chill ran down my spine. I take a deep breath and exhale quietly. "You doing okay there?" Brock inquires.

     I open my eyes and look over to him. "Yeah, I'm perfectly fine, just taking in the beauty." A soft smile tugged at my lips. He returned the smile, grasping my hand gently. Brock began to hum softly, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. I shut my eyes once again, listening to the leaves rustling in the cool breeze. The autumn noises were relaxing.

"Hey, Bryce," Brock nudged me, "the sun is setting; look at how beautiful it is." I opened my eyes again. The sunset was indeed beautiful, like Brock had said. There were a few clouds splotched randomly in the sky as well.

"Yeah, it's spectacular." I sat up to gaze at the sunset better and watch as the sky is painted with more hues of pinks and oranges.

Brock did that same thing, and slung his arm around my shoulders. I shivered as the temperature began to drop. I felt him pull me closer to his body. "We should probably get going, since it's going to get much colder the longer we sit out here." I nodded in agreement. We get up and start walking home, the sky growing darker quickly. I have always loved it when the day bleeds into the night.

    Our neighbourhood was relatively quiet during dusk, which was nice.

     We strolled silently down the sidewalks, listening to porch swings creaking with the weight of the neighbourhood. Listening to the soft night-murmurs of the grown people on our street. Brock had his hand on my hip, keeping me close to him for warmth, which wasn't really doing much. I could see my breath in the increasingly frigid air. "When we get home," I paused to sniffle, "I'm going to be wrapping myself up in a blanket burrito and watching something on Netflix in our bed." I huffed out a laugh.

   "You would." He replied. "I'll keeping you extra warm by hugging you in that stupid blanket burrito." Brock chuckled.

    By the time we reached our house the sun had completely set and it was dark. We stepped into our dark house. I searched the adjacent wall for the light switch. When I found it I flicked it on. "Gah! That's so bright." Brock hissed as he hung up his coat.

"Aren't you going to take your jacket off?"

"No, I'm very, very cold," I say. "I'm keeping this jacket on." I take off my shoes and walk to our bedroom.

     I crawled into bed and wrapped myself in a fluffy blanket. I turned on the television in our room, putting on Netflix. "What do you want to watch on Netflix?" I called out.

     "Uhh, I don't really care," Brock replied from the kitchen. "You can choose."

    I put on FRIENDS. I lied down, still wrapped in the fluffy blanket. "IS THAT FRIENDS?!" He yelled. I laughed loudly as the show's theme song began playing.

Brock walked in the bedroom with a cup of some sort of hot beverage and stopped in the doorway. "Are you comfortable in that? Are you good, because you look extremely cozy and warm wrapped up in the blanket."

"Yes, actually. I'm very comfortable and cozy and warm," I smiled.

He rolled his eyes and smiled. "I made you hot chocolate." Brock handed me the cup of hot chocolate. I thanked him and took a sip.

"You really do look like a god damn burrito wrapped up in that fuzzy blanket."

"At least I'm comfy. This is cozy as hell."

    Brock giggled. "I could imagine," He laid back, cuddling up to me with his head resting on my shoulder, and his arm outstretched across my abdomen. He kissed my jaw softly and lovingly, which made me smile wider.

    "Now I'm comfy." I chuckled and we watched the show.