Chapter Four - It Was Only Just a Dream

Damon...
"Amelia!" I cried out as I saw the dark haired beauty walking towards me.
She was attired in a light blue corset and a multitude of skirts. She looked exactly the same as I remember her. But this had to be a dream. Amelia was dead. She died in 1855. And there was also the fact she was walking down the streets of a modern-day Mystic Falls dressed in the same way she always used to. No one else seemed to see her as people continued to walk past her, and didn't even give her a glance. But I couldn't take my eyes off her. I'd forgotten how beautiful my twin sister was, her skin was like porcelain and her eyes were like ice – the exact same color as mine. Over a century without her made me forget just how much I loved her but seeing her now made it all come rushing back, I missed my sister so much, I loved her more than anything and I needed her with me. I smiled as she walked up to me with a beam splitting her face in two. Even if this was a dream I would take advantage of it.
"Hey, sis," I smiled down at her.
"Why hello there, bro," she smirked.
I pulled her into my arms and squeezed the life out of her, she was giggling happily so I knew I wasn't hurting her and she was clinging onto me just as hard.
"I've missed you," I whispered as I pushed her dark curls away from her face, like I always used to.
"I've missed you too, Damon," she smiled back, her voice low, "More than anything."
But then the dream changed. We were still in Mystic Falls but Amelia was standing back from me. Her dress replaced by a pair of skin-tight dark jeans, a black vest and a black leather jacket. She was facing the ground, all her dark curls covering her face.
"Amelia?" I asked slowly, approaching her hesitantly.
Her shoulders were shaking and at first I thought she might have been crying, sobbing. But as I edged closer to her I could hear her silent laughter, Amelia never used to laugh silently – her laughs were always loud, sometimes too loud.
"Amelia?" I asked again, placing one gentle hand on her shoulder.
When she looked up at me, the world stopped spinning.
"But-" I choked out.
The beautiful sister I'd known and still loved was gone. In her place was a monster. The monster still resembled my Amelia; the eyes were the same and so were her basic features but just underneath her pools of blue eyes were veins pulsing right down to her cheeks. Her smile was menacing and I could see two sharp fangs protruding from her gums. Scarlet blood ran down the side of her stained red lips, tickling down her chin, the trail continuing down her neck and onto her top.
"No, no, no, Amelia," I spluttered, stumbling back a few paces, "Not my Amelia – not you, please, not you."
It's a dream, Damon. It's a dream. Amelia's dead. She's not a vampire.
But all rational thoughts were no longer swirling their way through my mind, this felt very much like reality, a horrible nightmare of reality.
"I killed her, Damon," the monster who looked like Amelia whispered, her smirk sending shivers even up and down my spine – and definitely not in a good way.
"W-What?" I stuttered.
"I killed her, Damon," she repeated, her smirk only growing bigger and even more menacing.
"You... Who? Who did you kill?" I asked her.
"Elena, I killed her," the monster smirked, "And I had a whole load of fun doing it."
Could this nightmare get any worse? Apparently yes. I lost it. This monster was not my sister and the monster had killed the woman I love. I lunged at her and reached to snap the monster's neck, but only it wasn't the monster's neck I heard snap. My Amelia was lying on the ground as soon as I blinked. Blood was pouring down the street away from her lifeless form. Her skirts were ripped and frayed and bloody. There was blood everywhere. But it didn't affect me.Amelia. I killed her... No, she's not my sister. I'm dreaming. I have to be.
"Amelia," I gasped out, collapsing next to my twin's body.
Her eyes were glassy and staring, no longer full of life that I was used to, the pools of her eyes had frozen over. Her porcelain face was expressionless, her lips slightly parted.
My world seemed to end staring at my sister, lifeless, she wasn't Amelia anymore. She was dead. And it was no one's fault but my own.

I sat bolt upright in bed, cold sweat dripping off me and onto the bed sheets. I hadn't had a nightmare since I'd been turned – what was there to be scared of when you were a vampire? But that dream had terrified me. If I was to say that I thought about Amelia all the time that would be a lie, I'm ashamed to admit it but hardly a thought goes out to my twin sister now-a-days. But right now she was all that was in my mind. I'd forgotten how much I really had loved her, and that dream had made me realise how much I actually missed her. I missed out she would giggle at little things only we found funny, I missed how we could finish each other's sentences, I missed how her soft curls felt whenever I was stroking them back from her face, I missed the intensity in which she used to look at me when she was upset, I missed the way she actually understood me – Amelia understood me more than I understood myself. And god did I miss her.
I ran my hands over my face and into my hair as I let out a frustrated sigh. Pushing the sheets off my body, I slid out of bed, pulling a black wife beater over my head as I left the room. Maybe I could walk – or drink – off the bad dream and the memories of Amelia that were swirling their way through my mind. I didn't expect to see my younger brother when I walked into the library. He was sitting at the edge of the couch with his head in his hands. Normally, I wouldn't parade in front of my brother wearing nothing but boxers and a wife beater – the privilege of that was left to those who earned it – but I walked in anyway.
"What's up with you, little bro?" I teased, putting on a whiny voice.
"Go away, Damon," he snapped back.
"Not very friendly," I commented, sitting down next to him, "I'm being serious."
"Nothing you should concern yourself with," he grunted out, standing up and crossing the room, turning his back to me.
"The blood still bothering you, is the blood being a meanie?" I teased with a smirk.
"Shut up, Damon."
"Seriously, Stefan," I sighed, "I am your brother, you can talk to me, I have your back."
Stefan turned around to look at me and I couldn't contain the laughter I'd held up, almost spitting as I exploded into the laughter I'd tried to hide. Stefan just rolled his eyes and turned away, his face showing even more irritation.
After I'd stopped my little outburst and my face turned serious again, I called, "Stefan?"
"Yes... Damon?" Stefan said through gritted teeth, his back still to me.
"Do you ever... uh- think about... Amelia?" I asked, scratching the back of my neck.
I could see my younger brother tense up as he slowly turned around to face me, "Not so much now, why?"
"I don't know," I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant – and failing, "I've just been thinking about her a lot more than usual."
"That's understandable," Stefan nodded with his stance still tense.
"I mean... Do you remember much about her?" I asked him.
Something in me was desperate to talk about my twin sister, I couldn't explain it, I just wanted to talk about her so much, even if it had to be with my younger brother.
"Not a whole lot," Stefan shrugged.
"Well, what do you remember?" I prompted.
Stefan seemed wary and watched me with his eyebrows raised, "Why?"
"I just want to know, Stef," I insisted, holding my hands up.
"She used to call me that."
"What?" I asked in confusion.
"She used to call me Stef all the time," he sighed, "And it annoyed the hell out of me."
"I remember that," I nodded, "I think that's why I started calling you Stef."
"It's not as annoying when you call me it though," he shrugged, "I guess the first time you called me it it reminded me of her."
Stefan walked over and sat next to me on the sofa again. I watched him almost with surprise, and Stefan seemed to be pretty surprised too that he'd moved over to talk to me.
"I just remember," he began to say, "You and Amelia always tormenting me, non-stop."
"Nothing's changed there then," I smirked but the smirk soon slid off my face.
Everything's changed. Back then it was Damon and Amelia, now it's just Damon. I had always been a twin, one half of a whole. Now, I was just Damon. Bitter, lonely Damon.
Stefan seemed to notice the change and he quickly said, "One time, I remember you and Amelia took me down to the Falls, I must've been about five years old and all I remember is you and Amelia grabbing me and tossing me in."
"I don't remember that," I sighed.
"Well, you two annoyed me every single day, you're not exactly going to remember every single thing you did to me," Stefan said but chuckled anyway.
"What else do you remember about her?" I prompted.
"Well, when she wasn't annoying and tormenting me she was the best big sister anyone could ask for," he said with a slight smile on his lips, "One time, I had fallen in the back garden and I'd grazed all my knee. Neither Mother or Father was around to sort me out so Amelia took me up to the bathroom and she washed my knee and hugged me until I stopped crying."
"She was the best," I sighed sadly.
"I remember you two being closer than anyone," Stefan said, "You were nearly always together, and you were always laughing at some private joke or another that no one else was allowed in on. And you two were always joking around and teasing each other, even more so than you teased me but you both got away with it."
Stefan paused and took a deep breath; I was just watching him reminisce, remembering everything he was remembering.
"One of my most vivid memories was when I was told she had died," he started again, a sad and distant look on his face, "The three of you came back from the ball without Amelia and I didn't really think of anything of it. I didn't even realise until later something was wrong with all of you. You all looked like you had been crying and were all distracted. Then you and Father left again – I presume now to go look for her – and Mother disappeared off to her room. I wasn't allowed in. That was the first night Mother never put me to bed, a maid had to do it. And the next morning I looked all over for Mother, or Amelia, or you, or Father and no one was in sight. A maid sat me down and told me. And I didn't understand it at first. The last time I'd saw Amelia she'd been laughing and teasing me like always, she couldn't be dead, she couldn't be gone. But she was. Even though I was young I wrapped my head round it – and it hurt."
I was numb. I didn't know what to say. So I let Stefan do all the talking, choosing not to participate in the discussion – just listen.
"I didn't see any of you for about a week after," Stefan remembered, "Father was locked up in his study, Mother in her bedroom and I had no clue where you were. The next time I saw you was about a week after I'd been told you were dead. I'd never seen anyone look so sad; you couldn't have been my joking and always smiling big brother. But you were. I remember you told me that you hadn't stopped looking for her for a week. And you said that you didn't believe she was gone, that if she was in fact dead you'd have felt it."
I remembered that well. Better than I remembered anything. The sheer pain of losing my twin sister had been too much to bear, I was a mess. I couldn't accept it. I had looked for her for a whole week but had found nothing. I had drilled it into my mind that Amelia wasn't dead until I felt something, I'd told myself over and over again that if she had really died I'd know about it. Your twin couldn't die without you feeling something deep inside you, or that's what I'd thought at the time.
"And after that," Stefan continued, "You were never the same. You didn't laugh as much, you didn't joke as much. You still tormented me but the effort and the fun behind it wasn't the same for you. For the first time ever I wanted you to tease me and make fun of me 'cause I thought if you did that maybe I'd get my big brother back, and maybe a little bit of my big sister back."
"I... I'm going to head back to bed," I said quickly and left the library.
I didn't want Stefan to see the tears.