Chapter Two - Tall Tales

Somewhere in Virginia, 1860

"Why must you go Miss Amelia?" he asked, looking down at me.

"Do you really expect me to stay here, Henry?" I reasoned.

"But Miss Katherine will never let you leave us. You are like a daughter to her. She loves you," Henry said.

"If this is the way she treats people she loves then I never want to know how she treats people she loathes. She has kept me here as nothing more of a slave for her, and I am awaiting the day she decides I no longer provide any use for her. Have you ever stopped to wonder why our numbers are dwindling?" I reasoned with him.

"You think Miss Katherine is killing us?" Henry asked; his surprise almost genuine.

I turned and looked out at the fresh, still lawn stretching from the beautiful gazebo we were standing in. Miss Katherine had insisted we stayed at this estate while she went out and sorted out "business" of hers. That was the first day we arrived here, wherever here was, but now everyday she would be out taking care of business but still, Miss Katherine had eyes everywhere. She knew what we were up to every minute of every day. Escaping would be no easy feat.

"Of course she's killing us, Henry," I told him.

I could feel his presence just behind my back, his gentle breath tickling the exposed flesh of my shoulder. Henry knew better than to intrude the personal space of a lady but right now I wanted him to, and I knew he would if I asked him. I turned slowly on the spot, my skirts twisting with me.

"Come with me, Henry. We can escape here. We can be free," I all but pleaded.

His expression was wary as he looked down at me, "I wish I could, Miss Amelia."

"Why can't you? It'll just be you and I, Henry," I said, moving closer to him, "Isn't that what you want?"

"I... Of course I want that Miss Amelia..." he said quietly.

"Then why don't you?" I asked, "I want you to, Henry... I want you."

He swallowed loudly.

"Please, Henry," I said, my hands ghosting up his arms and onto his chest, I tip-toed up and whispered seductively into his ear, "If you're not coming with me then at least help me escape here. I'll do anything for you..."

Grove Hill, Present Day

"So, how the hell did you end up here?" I asked him, sipping on the glass of blood he'd poured out for me, I looked at Henry who was sitting in the leather chair across from me.

Henry had taken me to an apartment he had in Grove Hill just outside of Mystic Falls. The house wasn't owned by anyone living as we were both able to get across the threshold without being invited in. The apartment was decorated plainly with mismatched furniture and bits of technology that looked extremely old.

"Long story," he shrugged, "After you escaped Miss Ka-... I mean, Katherine was furious, I'd never seen her so mad. She came after me because she knew how close we were, I think she never truly believed me when I said I had nothing to do with it."

"She didn't hurt she did she?" I asked somewhat guiltily.

"No, no. She came to me soon after you escaped and she begged to know where you were. I told her I hadn't seen you all day and that the last time I'd saw you you were acting strange," he told me, "She didn't stick around interrogating me for long though, she went out after you. It was a good thing you got a good head start 'cause I was terrified in case she caught up to you. Where did you go?"