Prologue

Prologue

Dear Diary,

Once upon a time there lived a beautiful princess; she had many suitors who all wanted to marry the young princess despite her young age. She was the first ever Miss Mystic Falls, which was the land in which she lived. She had two brothers who were the young princes of the land. Her twin brother and the princess were the best of friends and always protected each other. One day the young princess danced at the ball with the mayor of the land's son and she thought she had got her happily ever after, only her twin brother was not happy. The young prince fought with the mayor's son and the young princess decided to leave. She walked along an endless round away from the land of Mystic Falls and stumbled across a horse and carriage. Inside the carriage was a group of mysterious people, and a beautiful but dangerous woman appeared to be the leader. The woman invited the young princess into her carriage and the princess foolishly agreed. The woman turned out to be an evil demon and the demon gave the princess her blood and then killed her. The princess woke up and found that she too had become a demon just like the woman, and she would live forever more and never get her happily ever after that she always dreamed of.

I wish my life could've been a fairytale, of course I wasn't a princess, but I guess, in a way I was considered one back then. How long has it been Diary, one hundred and fifty four years, or something? Whatever it has it's been a while. And I've changed, I'm no longer the girl who wrote Mrs. Julien Lockwood in her diary or the girl who sat on her window-edge and dreamed of a wedding with flowers, and doves and all that shit. I wasn't exaggerating on one part: the demon part. I'm a vampire, a blood-sucking, murdering vampire. And I'm one hundred and seventy years old, god, I'm getting old. That night, the night I danced with Julien at the Lockwood mansion, the night when my twin brother, Damon fought with Julien and the night I ran away, straight into the arms of manipulative, demonic, bitch of a vampire. Katherine her name was or Katerina as her real name is. How I wished I hadn't ran away, I wished I'd listened to Damon, he had begged me to stay, he had pleaded and cried but I had still ran, for a while I had heard him chasing me until I disappeared into the night. I was sixteen years of age the last time I wrote you, and I was sixteen when I stopped aging forever.

I often wondered what would've happened if I hadn't run, I wouldn't be a vampire for one. I would've maybe married Julien (unless Damon killed him first) and I would've had children. Alot of the time I wondered whether that was the fate my two brothers had met, it was hard imaging them with children, mainly because Stefan was nine years of age the last time I saw him and Damon was well- Damon. They're both dead now, while I have to live on for eternity alone.

I don't even know why I'm writing you again, or why I even dug you up from the forest just a little north of my home. Maybe to relive some human memories I don't know. But I'm back home – almost. If I really strain my eyes I can see it – Mystic Falls. I know I have to go back sometime but it's hard, I'll visit my brother's graves and I'll give them flowers and I'll tell them about all I've done since the last time I saw them. I'll visit Mother and Father's grave too, I wonder alot how they reacted to my "death", and it broke my heart to think about my family in pain like that, sometimes I wanted to go back, to see them just one more time but I was banned from ever setting foot in my hometown. I was a prisoner of sorts under Katherine's will, although she cared for me and loved me I still hated her, I hated her for taking me away from my brother, my best friend. I loved, and still do love, Damon like I'll never love anyone else. After five years I escaped Katherine and the others, with the help of my only friend, Henry. He helped me get away from them, sometimes when I look back I realise that he loved me, but I was too caught up in escape and mourning the loss of my life and family to realise anything. Now I guess this brings me back to where I am today, the rest of my years are uh- too horrible to get into. To say I've changed is an understatement; I was once a sweet, innocent little girl, proud of her beauty and what not. Now, I'm to put it simply – a bitch. I don't care, I can't feel and I don't feel love anymore.

Writing this all down has made me feel better about my past in some ways, and I thought you of all needed to know, deserved to know. Damon and you were my only true confidents for everything, with Damon gone you're all I have left. I know that is pathetic and sad that the only reliable thing I have in life is an old book, eaten by maggots and all that shit. I'm heading back to Mystic Falls now, after everything I've wrote, I've realised I have to.

Until next time,

Amelia Salvatore.