Lifekit nodded, turning to face the others. Quickly, she padded over towards Goosekit, Ripplekit, and Marshkit.

            "I'll see you all soon," she explained.

            "Good luck, Lifekit," Ripplekit said, placing her tail on Lifekit's shoulder.

            Lifekit headed back to Mousestripe, only to receive a look of disapproval.

            "Aren't you forgetting someone?" Mousestripe whispered.

            Lifekit turned, facing Splashleap.

            "Oh, um, thank you, Splashleap," Lifekit awkwardly said.

            "Well, we can't just leave kits to die," Splashleap replied, simple as that, before padding away.

            Lifekit looked at the walls of the nursery one last time, then padded outside, glad to be free.

            "Mousestripe, is my fur okay?" Lifekit asked.

            Mousestripe chuckled. "Here, I'll fix it for you," she explained, running her tongue across Lifekit's fur in attempt to smooth it down.

            "Splashleap wouldn't have done it for me," Lifekit whimpered.

            "Is that what this is about?" the spotted she-cat asked.

            "I don't have a mother. Sometimes I don't notice. But sometimes...I do," Lifekit murmured.

            Mousestripe sighed. "My mother has been dead for awhile, too, Lifekit. But I can assure you that I don't miss my fur being tugged at. Why, my sister and I hated it when Lilywhisker wanted to clean our fur," she laughed.

            "But you grew up with a mother, Mousestripe," Lifekit explained. "I haven't."

            Mousestripe frowned. "Well, my kithood wasn't too happy either, with my half-sisters and half-brothers. Smokestar wasn't a great father. He was flawed."

            Lifekit frowned, not hearing of half-sisters or half-brothers before. She realized there was a lot about Mousestripe she did not know.

            "ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY, JOIN BENEATH THE ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" Thornstar yowled.

            "Looks like they're calling you," Mousestripe explained, pushing Lifekit forward. "You'll see us and your father in the audience!" she called.

            Lifekit nodded, racing off to the large rock that stood in the center of the camp. Thornstar stood, smiling as Lifekit slowly climbed up the rock, in shock to see all of her clanmates gathered below her.

            Lifekit stood proudly, noticing her father, Mousestripe, Stormnight, and Graytail smiling at her. From the distance, she could see Goosekit and his siblings popping their head out of the nursery, Blueocean beside them.

            "Lifekit has reached six moons," Thornstar began. "She is now able to become an apprentice. Lifekit," he said, turning towards her, "From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Lifepaw."

            Lifepaw's eyes widened, and she felt as if StarClan's wind had blown against her and filled her with the gifts to be an apprentice.

            "Tinypelt," Thornstar called.

            Lifepaw watched as a tiny gray she-cat padded forward, her eyes fixed on Thornstar. Did he expect this tiny she-cat to teach her?